A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to “bake” the parameters of a state within a Take to the initial state (Main Take)?
Posted: 21 August 2019 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2018-02-21

Hi there

The title of my topic is self-explanatory.
I forgot the Auto Take and Lock Overrides “on” while working in a scene and now everything I did is only valid to that given Take.

It should be global, so how can I turn that alternate state into a Main state?
Is there any command or tool to help me out?

Cheers

Daniel Sian

Posted: 21 August 2019 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Daniel Sian,

Typically I need a project file, positively as well as in this case. Takes can have conflicting information, so there is no move all to global command.

I would like to send you an upload link. Please let me know if that is a possibility.

Since I don’t have your file here, I guess all other options have been tried, this (below) is only based on the test scenes I have tried it for a while now, so back up and save first before you check this out.

Whatever was in the Main Take will not be conserved with this method.

The Take you have placed everything should be selected, then select anything in the Object Manager and copy it.
Create a new scene file, with the same project settings (FPS, etc.) and paste your content into the Object Manager.
Since it is a new scene, the Main Take should be the only one active and available.

Alternative.
Selected anything in the Object Manager, or perhaps only what is affected by the wrong Take, then cut it out (CMD/CTRL+X).
Select the Take you wish to use for this, and paste the content into the Object Manager back.

Again, without a Project file, this is a vague suggestion and needs your care and exploration. It is not a standard procedure that I found described anywhere.

Optional (perhaps difficult)
If you have information (e.g., animation) in the Main as well, the Child Take, copy the Child Take, go to the main Take, place anything in the Object manager into a different Layer Browser (just to know what is what) and paste the copy while the Main Take is active. (Active means: the little square). What to do with the two, I can’t tell without the project file.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 25 August 2019 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2018-02-21

Hello Dr. Sassi, how are you?

There is nothing to select in OM since I was working on a material (sorry for not being clear in my first post), so the Take system was recording parameters only.
I tried to duplicate the material while “Auto Take” off, using your “Alternative” approach, (and I did this before posting my question) but in a weird way the duplicated material was still linked to that take. But doesn’t matter because I was able to figure a command out to fix the problem, and it was right before you put your comment.

I’ve used “Current Take to New Document”. Then I just brought the material back to the original document, and everything is fine now.

Thanks again for the time you spend helping people out.

Cheers

Daniel Sian

Posted: 25 August 2019 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, Daniel Sian, you’re welcome.

I’m fine, thanks. I hope you are doing fine as well.

I guess if I had a scene file … wink

Yes, a material that is not applied will be left out with my suggestion. I admit I did not imagine it.
With the copy and paste, you usually do exactly what the command does, but more selective if needed, yes, the command is a complete action!

I’m glad you found what you needed.

BTW, you can use the suggested method as well for materials. Copy the material while in the accidentally chosen Take. Then Paste it back into the Material Manager, while in the Main Take. Name the pasted material to know which one to use. For what it is worth, check each Take if there is any residual left, hence the new name.

Cheers.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 25 August 2019 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2018-02-21

Cool

The scene is a little bit complex, so I’ll try to simplify it and then I can share with you without problems.
The material is a Redshift material. I guess this is not a problem for you to open since Maxon is the new owner, isn’t?

Would you share a link so I can upload the file?

Thanks

Posted: 25 August 2019 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Daniel Sian,

Please no extra work, it was meant to excuse me, since I couldn’t see what you see. It was not a new request.
I’m really sorry if you have put any extra effort into this. At the moment the problem is solved, anything is fine.

But, if there is anything else, I’m always happy to sent and upload link to your Cineversity Private Message box.
If the file’s name contains private, I will never share it. However, I hope your project will work now fine.

My best wishes.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 25 August 2019 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2018-02-21

Awesome!

Thank you very much!

See you

Posted: 25 August 2019 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Daniel Sian!

I’m happy to look into it, if there is anything else. Just let me know.

Have a great evening. C-U!

Signature 

NEW: