A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Character, cloth and dynamic animation at a small scale
Posted: 31 August 2018 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2013-11-16

Hi

I want to animate the following character in a normal sized room, say 300cm x 300 cm x240 cm (H). Currently it is modelled to a height of 10 cm. The chain mail are rings cloned to a hidden polygon and I plan to animate the hidden polygon as cloth or soft dynamics. I did a couple of tests at this size and larger scale and got unusual results at a small scale - lag excessive movement and jittering. What things/settings do I need to consider when animating at this size?

Thanks
Chris

Posted: 31 August 2018 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

HI Chris,

Typically the best idea is to keep it in the size it is supposed to be naturally, as all dynamics works along normal sizes. Of course when the main figure is very small, some tolerances are maybe to large. You asked about option to set this up in a better way:
If for whatever reason you need to change that scale, go to the Attribute Manager> Project Setting>Dynamics. Here you can tell the dynamic engine in what dimensions you need it to work in.

Note that the Gravity is measured in m/s2 (meter divided by square seconds). Wiki: “The force of gravity varies with latitude and increases from about 9.780 m/s2 at the Equator to about 9.832 m/s2 at the poles.” To simplify this variance the value is set to 10m/s2 (10000cm).

An very old introduction (MoDynamics back then) is here:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/modynamics_project_settings
Yes, things have changed a little bit in the interface, but the main information is valid.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 31 August 2018 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2013-11-16

Thanks

Will send a file if I get really stuck

Chris

Posted: 31 August 2018 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Let’s hope you have fun setting it up, Chris, and get not stuck.

However, I’m happy to look into it. Let me know if you need an upload link. (Currently I use only Amazon or Dropbox to receive files.)

As a side node, you mentioned Cloth: If cached you might explore the options with the Cloth Cache Tool, for detail work.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Resetting Pose Morph Vertices      Paper wrap ››