A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Use Motion system to cut between cameras like a real camera sequencer…
Posted: 22 August 2018 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2015-08-30

Hi all,
Is there a way to use the motion system to cut between cameras like what all the game engines have now with sequencers?

So for instance, if I have three cameras

Cam1: 0-60
Cam2: 0-90
Cam3: 0-120

I turn each camera into a motion clip, can I use xpresso to have the motion system feed the stage object and tell it which camera is next in time, so I can just slide the camera motion clips around in the NLA and cut between them like I would video clips in a NLE?

thanks

Joseph

Posted: 22 August 2018 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Joseph,

Typically one would use the clips (of all cameras) and edit in the “Motion Mode Timeline” the “Animation Clips”. The key is that the Camera is always used in the same Rig (set up), so the clip data will affect the camera in the same way. All of this data is then used with a single new camera. IF you have a hard cut, the position will “switch”, if it is blended, then it transitions between the two settings.

I have discussed this here with R12, but it works in current versions in the same way.
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/animation_techniques_for_teams_nla_session_part_04_section_f
You might start at 07:30 min:sec

Here is an example, file 01 has the source animation, saved as motion source, and used in file 02 for a new camera. I have placed two markers in it, just to showcase it, (markers are not needed) The Stage Object driven by something and leave all cameras in a separate Motion Editor or layers feels counterintuitive and not how I use NLA nor NLE. It can be done all at once. Faster, less parts in the scene and easier to understand when anyone else opens the file.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/ay52H1d2ohoevjU3PbYMvEFNT2ortwGd8dyHJOoyEaj

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 22 August 2018 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2015-08-30

Hi,
Thanks again for the quick reply. I must admit after downloading the example file and watching your video I’m still very confused.
How do you get the single camera to follow the animation of the other cameras motion clips? If I understand your last response what I want to do is possible in a much simpler way using just the NLA motion system without having to resort to xpresso.

I would appreciate more information on the process grin

thanks so much

Joseph

Posted: 22 August 2018 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Joseph,

You might watch the whole series. However, in a nut-shell: The idea is, to have the same camera or camera rig. No exceptions, so the applied information works.

Given that the information stored in each clip is your standard, base on your rig, the information can be applied to any hierarchy that follows this. If it is only a single camera, then that is your rig. I would advice against a single object “rig”. As each null allows for a certain information and in that way the keyframes are much easier to manage.

The information structure in each Animation clip is so compatible with any rig that is build in the same way. Once you set you standard, you can start building a library.

In the moment you have gotten all the Animation clips, either loaded or freshly produced, a fresh new rig can get a Motion tag and you can edit all the clips in it, like in an NLE. While affecting the connected camera rig.

The idea to the series above was based on the option to work with many people. Each gets the same rig and can animate , e.g., the camera, then create an animation clip, save that as a motion source and share it. Team work.

Example. call up a fresh new scene file, add a Null and place a camera under it. Call up a Motion Tag, while the Null is active. Open the Motion Timeline. Where the clips are normally listed, right mouse click in it and select the “Load source” from the file I have provided.

Place the clips in the timeline and press play. edit the clips as you like to. Done

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 22 August 2018 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2015-08-30

aaaahhhh… I see grin Now it makes sense, Thanks so much grin

Joseph

Posted: 22 August 2018 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Sounds good, Joseph, thanks for taking the time.

ENJOY

Signature 

NEW: