A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to upload a Cinema model file with textures?
Posted: 15 August 2018 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2014-03-14

I have created a very incisive post about a problem with a simple model. But when I try to attach a 1.6 MB ZIP file of the model and its textures for evaluation, I get this—

Error Message:  The file you are attempting to upload has invalid content for its MIME type.

I have checked the ZIP contents as thoroughly as I know how, and do not find MIME irregularities (to my eye). Any suggestions? The post would be pretty useless without the model.

Posted: 15 August 2018 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

The mime filter is obviously pretty trigger happy, since we live in time of cyberattacks. So sorry if it gives you grief.

I have send you an upload link. I use PM only for these links to send around, for any question or comment, please only here in the forum.

I will have a look into your file.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 15 August 2018 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

Thank you!

I have built a very simple 24-frame zoetrope and have set the rotation so that the motion of the viewing window is synchronized with the frame rate of the camera - that is, 24 slots pass in front of the camera in 24 frames. So in the preview, the zoetrope appears to be stationary, only the animated sequence (a bird in flight) appears to move. But when I render it out, the viewing slot is no longer synchronized - 3 frames of white appear between each frame of the open slot.

I thought at first that this was some kind of a video “field” issue wherein invisible “blanking frames” are inserted in the construction of the video, but the animation (when it appears) has progressed normally so only every 4th frame is visible. This suggests to me that the white frames are really in front of the camera 3 out of 4 frames - which seems impossible.

This animation has only one moving part (the rotation) aside from the camera “shutter” so I feel there must be something fundamental about the preview camera that I’m missing.

Posted: 15 August 2018 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

Thanks for the file, I just got it, very much appreciated to clear this problem.

The file that you have send me shows exactly that problems. a very distinct pattern. Your project settings are set to 30 fps and the render settings to 24. There is your problem. Think of the project set up as 30 frames, whereby each frame hits the mark at 15º fo the zoetrope’s 24 images/windows. Think of 30 cards, that have that image shown precisely. Now take 24 cards and place them with equal distances from start to finish. Here is the pattern.

To fix this, go to your Project Settings (CMD+D) and set parameter to 24fps. Now the degree of your wheel is off. I would set it to zero degree on frame zero and 15º on frame one, as well as in linear as it is now. Then select the first keyframe in the F-curve editor and go to Function>Track After> Repeat offset. This will allow for one repeat. While the track (Null>) Rotation.B is selected in the F-Curve editor, go to the Attribute Manager, and set the repetition to any number that fits your project.

I hope you don’t mind my note: All of that works as the rendering takes the middle position of the frame and renders it. In the moment you introduce motion blur, things might work differently. The zoetrope works normally based on an darker outside while the image is mostly much brighter. So one’s eyes, get a flash and the after image will stay for a little bit longer than it takes to get to the next one, hence the fluid animation. With motion blur and a white outside that might be a little bit more difficult.

My best wishes for your project.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 15 August 2018 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

Yes, of course! I knew it had to be that simple. Doh!

Thank you! Now to get back on track…

Posted: 15 August 2018 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes, since I have done this as well in the past, it was easy to find. I guess next time all alarm bells go on and you know it instantly. It happens.

Have a good one.

Signature 

NEW: