A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Facial rigging
Posted: 29 February 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-02-07

Hi there,

I am looking for a good tutorial about facial rigging.
Anyone knows where i can find it?

Thx

Posted: 02 March 2012 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-02

hi taha do you mean morphing poses or rigging with joints if its the latter you can easily find maya facial rigging tuts on youtube principles are the same but you’ll find r13 amazingly easy ,by the way i found something on vimeo by brian horgan it might be help full   http://vimeo.com/7001615 and http://vimeo.com/34124706

Posted: 02 March 2012 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-02-07

Hi rumi,

This is exactly where i am looking for.
I have seen some Maya tuts, but i want to see how i can build the expresso of all the expressions i made with Pose morph tag.

Thx Taha

Posted: 02 March 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Hi taha,
The topic of facial rigging is a huge field, in many cases a face rig can be as complex or more complex than a full character rig.
Rumi’s links show a good example of some of the methods…and Brian’s is an example of learning by reverse engineering.
Many technical directors for CINEMA have learned their trade based off following examples provided by users of other software, be it, MAYA, MAX, XSI, etc. As all of the theory and many of the steps are exactly the same.

The biggest hurdle is knowing how to translate the terminology.

That said when setting up controls for the face you have many options.
You can set up controls that follow the face, or control boxes like in the lowman rig (controls like this are fairly standard in rigging) or a combination of both.

CINEMA even comes with built in box controls…in the userdata you can find a 2D vector field.
you can then use the driver tag to push the animation.

Alternatively you can drive poses in xpresso too.

File Attachments
controller.zip  (File Size: 123KB - Downloads: 485)