A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Dominoes, Part 1
Posted: 27 February 2013 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2011-06-27

When we put the rigid body tag on the cube, it does not act the way it does in the tutorial.  Instead of moving forward and hitting the dominoes and knocking them over, it drops straight down and begins to vibrate wildly.  If it bounces into the row of dominoes, it bounces away and doesn’t knock them over.

Thanks

Posted: 27 February 2013 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Steve,

Have you downloaded the FIles? “project1577.zip”

I tested both files here and have no problems.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 27 February 2013 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2011-06-27

Hi Dr. Sassi,

They used the files in R14 under the Content Browser/3D Objects/Gambling to recreate along with the video from scratch.  I will have them compare their tags and settings with the downloaded files.

Thanks!

Posted: 27 February 2013 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Steve,

The idea to have them compare what works and what causes problems has a huge learn-effect. Besides the very first steps in an application, I do not see any benefits later on to have these “do this do that” tutorials, with no explanation why. I call them Co-pilot tutorial since a decade (not to confuse with “video Col-pilot” products!

A seasoned ILM artists told me many years ago, “... you have to go through 10.000 mistakes to become a pro in this kind of work”. It is not the amount of cool tricks to have (they get overused quickly and lose their impact in the same way), it is the ability to imagine and solve problems.
Having people run into problems sounds like bad material, but it is one of the strongest lessons one can learn. A reason why I “run” purposely in to “uuups” moments in my tutorials. Believe me, after I have had started ~20 times over with the recordings (to get it in one session fluently through), I have eliminated any un-wanted problems. Problems comes back to everyone, until they are solved. So, a great learning moment.

If the C4D Content Browser has a name, I look into it. I don’t use pre-pared set ups in my work, so I’m not familiar with this scene.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 September 2014 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Hello,

I was having similar problems with this scene, but I think I was able to find a few ways to keep the dominoes from getting all jittery.

In edit > project settings > dynamics > expert, adjust the settings located there.  the meaning and value ranges are well explained in the help files, so just right click and read through.

Jerome

Posted: 03 June 2015 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-02-24

This is new.  Tried this with R16. When the cube collides the dominos all move as one object.  Looking for the setting to have them move individually.  Downloaded the files and they work fine but can’t locate any differences in the set up

Posted: 03 June 2015 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi robkahn,

Please check the Dynamic Body Tag>>Attribute Manger>Collision>Individual Elements to All.

I hope that works.

Otherwise, please attach you scene here, so I can have a look into it.

All the best

Signature 

NEW: