A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Character Rigging in R12: Mesh Deformer
Posted: 24 February 2013 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2012-09-08

I am not sure where to ask & begin more complex question. I have more complex mesh, how I created all rigging according these tutorials and made binding with my mesh, Weight Symmetry painting was not working, there is evidence of search working in my Weight tag/Symmetry as both sides are visible, e.c when I have selected one part of the body on left, right part of the body of the symmetry was marked as well. But when I was painting, symmetry did not have none effect at all on the other side. I do not have low res mesh to create binding on. Is it really so necessary to have two models High and low res connected through Mesh deformer, to achieve weight symmetry on Low res one ? And If yes, Is there any simple way of creating Low res mesh from high res mesh ? It seems to be consumer of time to create another one with less polygons.

Sincerely Jan

Posted: 24 February 2013 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jan,

The “Mesh Deformer” is an option, not a mandatory step in character animation, nor a urgently needed part in the joint set up/weighting work. It works on a lower detailed model, so you can create with this a much faster set up. The Mesh defines then a “space” like the Free Form Deformer. The downside is of course that this simplification will show perhaps, as detailed models might miss the nuances of an full rigged model.

In this tutorial Kai isn’t going through any weight painting or symmetry options. Anyway, why it is not working in your case on a complete different model is understandable not to my knowledge. With out a scene file this might be hard to discuss. If you like to set up your own model before you go step by step through the series you might miss some parts—just a guess.

If you like to discuss your set up, please post a scene file in the Forum “Cineversity Q&A”. If the question can be shown with the provided model, then in the tutorial section (here).

I believe the tendency of your question is to avoid the low res and the “Weight Deformer” so the question how to produce the low res object is not needed. Do I got that right?

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 24 February 2013 04:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2012-09-08

Ah just checked it again & realized that I have not set my vertical Y axes for mirroring under Weight/Symmetry in Attribute manager.
My apologies, It was set to XZ. :/ Thank you for explanation about “Mesh Deformer”.
The model is complex only with HyperNurb on so keeping it off atm & painting is working all fine.
Sincerely Jan

Posted: 24 February 2013 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Jan,

Great that you found it YZ vs XS etc.
Keep in mind that HyperNURBS generated meshes can’t receive weighting. the weighting goes exclusively to the provided mesh. This low res mesh works with the joints. After that the HyperNURBS is created. yes, keep it off during those parts of the work, even if the model looks nicer with it.

Good luck with your character work!

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]