A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Belt Tag question
Posted: 18 February 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2006-10-15

little confused why I’m not getting the result I want using Cloth tag and Belt Tag, I’m missing something simple ?

For a simple example:

Flag pole and waving flag.

1. Setup my flag using Cloth tag,  set my fixed point and all looks great, love it
2. add a Belt Tag to the Flag, drag my flag pole into the “Belt on” slot and then select all my points and set those for the belt tag.
3. Move/animate my flag pole moving around and the Flag does follow it, but I’ve lost my cool flag waving part ?

My question is, why does it follow the flag pole but not wave anymore.  Everything looks correct, the flag is moving with the flag pole, it just isn’t waving anymore and I haven’t changed anything with the Cloth Tag.  I’ve played around with Influence and it’s not helping. Feel like I’m missing something right in front of me that is easy.  And also, should I apply a cloth Collider tag to the pole ?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Posted: 18 February 2013 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Hi JR,
First off is this in relation to a specific tutorial? The system doesn’t actually tell me that info, otherwise I will move this to the main Q&A section.
Is this OK.

Now, for your question, Step 2 is the one that calls out to me. When you say “select all my points” are you actually selecting all points?
You should only be selecting the points that you want to be “fixed” to the belt object.

Posted: 18 February 2013 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2006-10-15

nevermind…. i’ve had a duh moment and figured it out.  But just in case anyone is curious,  I did not set fixed points under the cloth tag,  only in the Belt tag and obviously only the ones I want connected to the pole.  everything is working now as it should.  If it was a snake it would have bit me several times cause it was right there the whole time… smile

Posted: 18 February 2013 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2006-10-15

Sorry Patrick, I just needed to type it out to understand it apparently.  No reference to a tutorial, I just used that example to apply to my scene.  But I was selecting the wrong points. 

thanks for listening

Posted: 18 February 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey JR,

The reason why Patrick was asking about the Tutorial-connection, as you are in the tutorial section of the forum. To keep that clear for everyone.

While he was answering, I had set up this flag/pole scene in r14, as I never rely on “worked before” knowledge. Well, it works as you have found out already, so a scene file is not attached. But it is happily waving here :o)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 18 February 2013 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2006-10-15

my bad, sorry for any confusion.

Posted: 18 February 2013 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

No problem at all :D

Posted: 18 February 2013 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey JR,

Not even close to something that would require a sorry. I wrote this forums based, as this is a public area, and to keep things organized, I mentioned it. Not to annoy you. Sorry if I did so. :o)

Have a great Holiday.

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]