A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Global Illumination-Few Questions
Posted: 06 December 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2006-10-15

Hello, I have a few questions about G.I and I’m hoping for a few pointers.  I work in broadcast and really never use G.I mainly because it scares me and I usually don’t have time for the render times.  I’ve attached an example, it’s still VERY much a work in progress and I’m using it to understand GI.  I really don’t do architectural modeling but need to for this project and it will animate.  I’ve read the manual, etc but I’m still a bit confused and need guidance.  Here are my questions:

1. Is it smart to even attempt to render an animation using G.I and if yes, what are some general rules to avoid flicker ? If all I have animating in my scene is a camera move, would my G.I Mode be IR (Camera Animation) ?

2. Irradiance Cache File, how does this work using the Net Render….  This one has me totally confused.

3. Not sure how to ask or phrase this question, but if you are using a lot of white materials, how can I keep them looking white but not necessarily adding to the overall illumination?  Is this done simply using Compositing Tags.  So in my example if I want only the hanging lights to light the scene, do I add composting tags to the walls,etc… everything using the white material ?  Not sure that makes sense, hoping you get what I’m saying - lol I realize there are MANY variables to this and I can control some of that with Diffuse Depth and Primary Intensity, etc. 

Anyway,  I understand there isn’t an easy answer and it depends on the scene,etc, but I was just looking for a few pointers or tips or pitfalls to avoid.  I just know the scene I will have to build will use a lot of white and I don’t want it to be washed out.  And if GI for the animation is going to take to long, then I will abandon that idea and going with a more traditional lighting setup.

Thanks for any help.

Posted: 06 December 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi JR,

Camera animation only:

I would switch off reflections and bake the light into the walls. Then place that into the Luminance channel and switch the reflections back on.

Use a good resolution for the final.

You might be surprise how fast ti renders then in the animation, and no GI needed any more.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 December 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2006-10-15

You know me all to well wink

I here everything you are saying, I need to do a better job translating my thoughts and questions.  I’m intimidated by GI honestly, and I know there isn’t a quick fix.  But you’ll be happy to know that I did start out with a stack of photos for reference..lol.  Yes I would like to use GI for the animation, cause I want pretty stuff.

Posted: 06 December 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey JR,

I certainly know you that much that you go for quality and impressive results.

After seeing your image I shortened my text dramatically (i have saved the text though). If only the camera moves in this room, I guess a baking should work fine. Keep in mind that the camera mapping could be an option here, to get the chance to fix some areas in Photoshop, which is as well true for texture baking (but not as comfortable—but more straight in terms of wall orientation)

I have worked this last 3/4 year on a series “Photography for 3D artists”, and I love to dig deep. I hope to have all parts ready next year. I designed (layout so far) as well a long series about photographing textures, and how to keep the quality very high. I haven’t seen a complete guide so far, and the few I saw, are just not cutting it. Its like with most things, you can’t teach it in few days, and some things can’t be done just based on a “10 steps” instruction. Quality has more obstacles and challenges, but to master them and enjoy the precision is priceless.

Thanks for being open to my own little fascination of top quality. ;o)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]