A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Snapping / working plane question
Posted: 05 December 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-05-28

I’m probably missing something very elementary but I’m going to ask anyway, at the risk of looking stupid. smile

I have two polygons as part of an object.  I’m using extrudes and poly/edge level adjustments to build the shape I need.  I am SO happy with the new workplane capabilities - this is the first time I’ve used them and I’m really happy with them.  That said, I’m having a hard time getting a single poly to snap to the workplane that I’ve created, which itself was created via selection of another poly that I want to line up the first one with (see attached picture).

I have snap enabled.  Auto snapping.  Workplane snap enabled also. I’ve tried poly and edge snaps, that doesn’t work.  Vertex snap just appears to snap it to an interval - but moving via the axis handle (I just need to move the poly on the Y axis - I just need to make sure it’s at the same level on the Y axis) at least shows that it’s going to snap to something via the small text pop-up.

Am I just missing something here?  I have a tutorial on snapping queued up but I didn’t think it would be this difficult anyway… smile

Posted: 05 December 2012 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ryan,

No risk of looking stupid, the only risk of looking stupid is not to ask. ;o)

If I get the question correctly you like to move the selected polygon to the Y level of the “red-framed” one on the left. I extrude first then adjust. (There is as well and option to be in Polygon mode, with the Polygon to be extrude selected, then press the CMD/CTRL key and drag (in your case on the Y axis only. The snapping to the adjusted workplane should be supported.

Place the Workplane to the Target polygon (left sided polygon) and then use only the Y axis of the selected polygon for the one that needs to be moved. (Workplane Snap Image)

Another way could be to move the axis of the selection first (Short cut L) “Enable Axis Modification. To move the axis to the position of the point in question x, z position, then move it up.

If these points are lining up in X,Z already (see image)
My understanding is that “Vertex, Edge and Polygon” are the targets to use, not the objects to adjust. Snapping works based on the active axis as the one that will snap to the parts that you select in the snapping menu. In the example image the “axis” is the vertex of the polygon that needs to be moved, in the moment that is (1) highlighted (label pops up) I move it to the vertex that is wanted as target level (2).

In this way , you need to use the Y axis only, and drag it up intil you reach the level of one Vertex/Point of the polygon in question. In your case the polygon is co-planar, which means one point should work just fine. Otherwise you would have the need to move each point to the same Y level.

There are more options since R13, like the “Axis Extensions”, to first adjust the Axis first then move to the target. Cerainly check out the options in the Move tool, and the axis options there.

“Dynamic Guides and Reference Points” should be checked out as well.

All the best

Sassi

Side-view:

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 05 December 2012 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-05-28

Thanks Dr Sassi.  A lot to dig into here, I’ll give it a go and let you know how it comes out.

Posted: 05 December 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Ryan,

I have edit the post, as more and more ideas came to mind. Perhaps the Move-tool enhancements since R13 might be the better option (for this case) than anything else. However, I have listed a little selection above, as each method has pro and cons perhaps, or ones taste makes some options more preferable.

Either way, modeling, in the way I have learned it, is based drawing with a pencil a precise draft. Which was in the past more or less in C4D spline based for me. (As an Architect suing Allpaln and Archicad in the ‘90s I was used to advanced “draft” options) today we get these tools more and more into C4D. Snapping is a vital support of most modeling efforts and with any kind of guidance a time saver, even if the creation takes a while in the first place.
Intersection snapping is (and was in the past/Archicad) one of my favorites!(I love it) Which might be something for this situation as well.

All the best
Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]