A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Ubertracer Installation?
Posted: 21 November 2012 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-15

I’m really interested in trying out the Ubertracker plugin for cinema 4D. I’m having a really hard time getting it installed though. the file extension is .dylib and I don’t see anything in the “plugins” folder with the same extension, so I’m not sure what to put where. Is it a problem that I’m using R14?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted: 22 November 2012 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Wozwo,

I would NOT recommend to even try to install this in R14. Not at al! I placed it in my Plug in folder and I was not even able to start R14.

The Problem is not R14, as other plug ins work just fine there.

The available version of Ubertracer (Übertracer?) seems to be beta. Beta, if I “translate the r0.7.01 correctly. The r0.8 is mentioned there. Last update was two years ago. My tip, skip it.

I have certainly respect for people who get something done that works and is production ready, as well if they keep up with the releases. (Yes, after 100s of plug ins in my life that had an EOL, I’m very careful to use plug ins.)

My suggestion, go in contact with the creator and ask there. Perhaps more interest in it might give the motivation to make it an 1.0 release candidate.

Perhaps you tell what your target is, there might be a native way to do that. Which is finally more the target of Cineversity, at least from my point of view.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 25 November 2012 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-15

Thanks for your feedback, Dr. Sassi.

I was hoping to experiment with it to get a similar effect from the beginning of this video entitled “Droplets”

http://vimeo.com/22391017

From my understanding, the plug in uses a tracer to connect the points in a particle emitter - then you can set up variations, such has having them break apart when there is a certain distance between them.

Any idea how you might make similar connections with the native tools?

Thanks!

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

AFAIK, there is not an easy way to do this with “native” tools, which is why you see plugins like plexus and ubertracer creep into the market.

That said, there is another developer who created a similar plugin: http://tcastudios.com/
In particular http://tcastudios.com/?p=90

I will follow up with Sassi’s statement though…plugins are a use at your own risk deal, even ones that you pay for.

There is never a guarantee about the lifetime of the plugin, and often you will find that plugins were used by the developer to help with one task, specific to their workflow, which means debugging isn’t a priority, as they know what breaks it…so they might not run into the same issues as another user.

Posted: 26 November 2012 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes, it might be not possible with native tools. In the example I do not see that all points are connected with every other point. If you look carefully, they are more or less clustered. The clip shows the process of finding ideas, and perhaps focusing on certain “hot spots” during the finding process was the key here, not to connect everything with everything, which leads not to finding ideas. Focusing on good ideas leads to solutions. Hence the same happens here right now. ;o)

So how would I do that, natively? In a similar way… (brainstorming)

Several particle emitters for the hot spots to create a certain amount of particles for each. and one or more to cover with few the whole area. The position of each particle in a group can be transferred to an geometry with a certain amount of points. In this way the geometry becomes scrambled and can be used to produce these lines. (Think of the use of several objects, but each objects has the structure of points newly sorted—Structure Manager. Similar to that is the use of some splines with a fixed number of points, etc etc.)

The points itself can be ten used in a Proximal Shader do create the effect of distance and disconnecting. The larger the object grows, the more the Proximal might fade from the center among points, which neds to be animated, there is no absolute distance available inside of Proximal.

If the rendering is done in Sketch&Toons;, or with an Atom Array is of course based on tests. It could be as well simply done with all UVs set to Max (quads only!) and a gradient (Box) is placed on them in the alpha or perhaps transparency channel. (With Max, each polygon is filled with a complete gradient, and in that way the edges become separated.

That this might look much better with a more cloud like “motion blur” is not a big guess, perhaps in After Effects “Smart Motion Blur—RE:Vision” set to a very high value. Try 10 to get that “wispy” look

I assume as well to create several path for the rendering. So the post production can improve the given parts.

All of that—just brainstorming.

Yes, I know how tempting plug ins can be. Patrick pointed out the TCA Studio plug ins, the one I used for a while were nice and stable (Camera to NUKE). But I like to keep it native, even with some more work, here I have the plug ins in mind that need to stay “hot” in a scene to work. Plug ins that support the work and could be deleted after that work is done, have a much higher future value, as “you” can open a scene even many releases later without problems. I got too many “plug in not available” messages in the past 20 years—from ALL applications available, burnt fingers, not only a C4D thing for me. Check out a After Effects 3 (3 not cs3!) scene with plug ins, you might have no luck. ;o)

Good luck with the recreation of that effect.

Sassi

The attached file is just a very rough example. OR put this, after caching the points, into a HyperNURBS and use this then to project other geometry on it

File Attachments
CV2_R14_DRS_12_TXan_01.zip  (File Size: 38KB - Downloads: 301)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 27 November 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-03-27

To be fair to gene, his UberTracer is marked as R12,
so demanding that it should work in R14 is a bit rough I’d say…

Cheers
Lennart

Signature 

R13 | OSX | http://tcastudios.com

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Lennart,

You are spot on, it wouldn’t be fair. But who wrote anything negative about it, there was no blame.
I think to criticize anyone who gives work away for free is always a little bit off. Some of these free tools have a long development history.

Thanks for pointing this out and thanks for your contributions!

Happy Holidays

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: