A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Thinking particles colour
Posted: 29 May 2012 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-11-01

I know that thinking particles doesn’t do colour inherently but i was thinking about possible workarounds to get particles to change colour over life.

Firstly i’m using a cloner to clone onto a thinking particles group, and you can use a pSize with the particle size parameter in the cloner to set the size over life.  I’m just wondering is there a way to pipe this pAge value into a colorizer and then apply the colour to the corresponding clones?  I’m kind of stuck on if theres a way to pipe data into a cloner using xpresso or python.  Obviously each clone will have a different value but you don’t get access to each member of a cloner through xpresso do you?

Any ideas

Thanks

Posted: 30 May 2012 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Rich,

Have a look to this set up. As you asked for the “age” of the particles, this might work. Note that the material is NOT animated, the texture tag is!
The Texture tag needs to be on the clone, not on the Cloner Object.

It’s quite simple and allows for quite some effects. It needs to be rendered to be visible.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r13_drs_12_TPco_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 24KB - Downloads: 363)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 30 May 2012 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-11-01

Thanks Dr Sassi, thats cool, didn’t even realise you could animate texture tags like that.  Thanks for the help.

Just out of interest, is there a way to connect other data from thinking particles to mograph cloners?  I think if you could link parameters and custom userdata you could create some very useful effects.  I thought the motion graphics data operator would do it but it only seems to read out the data

thanks