A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

I want to modify an existing Character Template - mocap (mixamo)
Posted: 04 May 2012 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-02-08

Hi all,

I am experimenting with iPiSoft Desktop Motion Capture (2 x XBox Kinect).  I have successfully imported motion data into C4D using the Mixamo mocap character object.  Now, I want to add the controls to the hands from the Biped template (since the mocap data does not contain hand motions).

I created a Character Object in a new scene, selected the mocap character template and built the character out (Spine, arms and legs) with the mixamo sub-template.  The mixamo template works pretty well with iPiSoft motion data, from what I can tell so far.  I renamed the template in the character component tag and saved it as a new name.

I created a new scene, created a character object and selected my modified template. As soon as I click on “Pelvis (Mixamo)” in the Build tab, C4D crashes.

Now, I have heard we are not to mess with the templates in the C4D installation folder.  We are supposed to save our templates in the characters folder in our personal library folder (I’m on a PC, so they are here: C:\Users\[Name]\AppData\Roaming\MAXON\CINEMA 4D R13_05DFD2A0\library\characters).

Are we supposed to be able to take components from one template (Biped hand and controls) and add it to another template (mocap mixamo).  Am I going about this the wrong way?

I plan to switch the way the hand controls work in the Biped template (currently, they use XPresso) to the new Pose Morph using the technique described in a Cineversity tutorial.  However, right now, I can’t even get the base template to work.  It’s going to be a long weekend…

Thanks in advance for any help.
-Daniel

Edit:

After doing more searching online, I think I’ve been going about this the wrong way.  Something I read made me say, “duh, I’m an idiot.” Via CGtalk, “...the golden rule is your character rig has to be the same as your mocap rig… [the] easiest way to do this is to import your mocap file, delete all animation. Zero out all the joints then use that for your character rig.”

I’m on it…