A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Folding a plane
Posted: 14 April 2012 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2009-06-03

Hi. I Need to fold a corner over on a plane sort of like a piece of cloth
with one corner folding over toward the inside (see jpg attached).

Trying to avoid learning cloth deforming as it’s a rare project and I’ll most likely never use it again!

I attached a FFD deformer with a bunch of points and that kinda works but it’s difficult to get it smooth.
Too many points its too cumbesome and too little;e points a can’t get a smooth look…
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks,
Brian

Posted: 16 April 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi there,

Folding a plane can be done with Joints, Deformers (two bend for example),  PointMorph to a certain degree, the next ones might help but have maybe more work than advantage to offer—Spline Deformer, Cage Deformer. Each of these options has certainly some pro and cons. The BezierNURBS might be only secondarily helpful as the stretching if the Plane is not easily to control. Perhaps a Spline IK solution. I would not think about the Cloth options so far.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 16 April 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2009-06-03

Thanks so much! I’ll give it a go!

I gotta chime in on the discussion board more often to try to be a help to others,
Give and take is what its all about…

Posted: 16 April 2012 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi bdugan,

Here is a little suggestion, with a very fast animation sketch. Just to give you an idea about. It is critical for something like a fabric animation to have something comparable and practical by your side, to see how it works. Even we all know how a napkin folds from uncounted times using one. Reference is the key and to skip it, ends more often than not in more work.

=====

It’s always nice when people support others. My suggestion is, if you like to do so, the best way is to set up a little test scene. This helps to communicate better and unveils problems. I would guess that half of the people posting here a question facing a deadline, which means any “trial and error” might disable them to reach that deadline. So even if I’m 100% that something work, I do it, as software changes, etc.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r13_drs_12_ANfb_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 80KB - Downloads: 233)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 16 April 2012 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2009-06-03

Amazing! Thanks again so much.
I haven’t worked with joints/bones in C4D but used to with Maya and Softimage before that.
This is a great use of joints that I wouldn’t think applied to what I was trying to accomplish.

Posted: 16 April 2012 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey bdugan,

You’re welcome. I used Joints to allow for further things like IK and such. The complete set up could be simplified with just Null Objects. But to given and example and a base to explore this is certainly a start.

Note that the joints do not influence the mesh in this specific case, they are more the “mechanic” in the set up.

If you like to simplify it even more, all Joints could be controlled by on PoseMorph, like a hand for example and the fingers. Just play&explore;, which I think is always the base for great new solution.

Have a good one

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: