A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

mograph effector to effect uv values?
Posted: 11 April 2012 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-11-01

Another question here.  Is there anyway you can offset uv values of an object using mograph effectors without using a blend of two objects and the cloner in sort or blend mode?  I’m thinking about wiring a value straight into the u or v offset?

Disappointed that the u and v transform inside effectors doesn’t actually work like this : )
thanks

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Rich,

Just to clear this confusion (?), the u,v,w, values in the “Effector” are the position in the MoGraph Cloner “World” I get the impression - based on our previous discussion - that you have the U,V (W) texture “space” in mind. In this way, there is no connection between uvw and UVW.

The change for a single object or for all at once can be done with the PoseMorph Tag via XPresso.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 April 2012 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-11-01

yup thats what i was thinking of.  Ah ok, so could you drive a userdata percentage variable with a random effector or would you just do a cloner blend of the two states and use modify clone?

Thanks again for all the help!

Posted: 12 April 2012 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Rich,

There is no need for an Blend or Sort set up in the MoGraph Cloner, the Pose Morph on One Object will work, and supply that to the clones.

The Blend version will work with UV texture information, but please note that only position is supported with the UV PoseMorph, not rotation.

I have attached two examples.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r13_drs_12_MGuv.zip  (File Size: 218KB - Downloads: 303)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 April 2012 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2010-11-01

Thats awesome, the blend mode of cloners really is amazing.

By the way, just had a play with deformers and your setup.  Do you know if there any reason why a bend deformer will blend but a correction deformer won’t?

File Attachments
Blend_bendVsCorrection.c4d.zip  (File Size: 126KB - Downloads: 245)

Posted: 20 April 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Rich,

I couldn’t find anything that would explain that behavior. Well, I tried a lot of “stuff” and nearly nothing seems to remedy this.

My “solution” or “work-a-round” is to use a point cache on each object and store in that way the results of the Correction Deformer. If it would only help for Primitives I would say that is the solution. But the idea was of course to have the Primitives working primarily.

I will file a report.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 April 2012 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2010-11-01

Thanks Dr Sassi,
the help says blend can blend two parametric objects or two polygons containing the same number of points.  I figured that maybe the correct deformer confuses it, because it allows you to modify the points of a parametric object - quite unique really.  I thought perhaps its just a limitation due to that. 

Of course i could just use a pose morph tag or do as you suggest.  I was just curious really : )

Thanks!

Posted: 23 April 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

The correction deformer is building it’s own internal cache so that you can access the components of a parametric object, it is just likely that this internal cache can not be accessed by the cloner as you had mentioned.
This internal cache is used by many of the newer deformers too…like the surface deformer and collision deformer.
Pretty much anything where an initial state must be stored.
Even then that is not a flawless breakdown, as there can be other contributing factors.

Posted: 23 April 2012 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2010-11-01

Ah thats good to know, thanks