A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

motion vector multipass
Posted: 09 April 2012 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2007-10-13

I cannot find a good motion vector tutorial. I try to use it (properly) with realsmart motion blur but it’s really not behaving like it should. Any place i can find that?

thanks.

David

Posted: 09 April 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi David,

I have discussed this in my Multi Pass series.

Let me know where you have trouble.

Is the motion Scale set to the dynamic that you have in your scene?

Do you use it with which application…? RSMB is available for a lot of post Applications.

As with all Data files, “use the RGB values” (Ae) and NO ANTI ALIAS! Like you would not use AA for depth, of Normal etc.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 11 April 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

... any option to get more on that theme? I rally like you to have it working.

Keep in mind that all of that is relative, so you need to check the Motions scale in C4D to get the best results and use the Parameters in the plug in. If all fails the RSMB Pro version has a lot of points to help the plug in to see (normally not needed. with C4D)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 18 April 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2007-10-13

Sorry.. i can’t find it in the multipass series.. can you point me to the exact video? Sorry.
thanks.

Posted: 18 April 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi David,

Have a look here.

The Idea is to have the motion based on the camera as well the objects expressed in (camera view) x and y. No move equals like 50% gray. It is stored in two channels of the RGB (Blue is not in use).

In the RenderSettings.Options you find a Motion Scale parameter. As each scene might contain a different scale and speed, this parameter is critical to set up, so the color channels work well and express the movement spread out over the whole scale of available gray values in each channel. If that is not set up accordingly to the scene, you might have only black and white in the file or just some derivation of the mid-tone gray.

In the Plug you will find another option to “scale”, but be aware that none of the both is able to fix problems from the other, both need to be set up carefully.

Again - as this is a data channel, it needs to be with out Antialiasing and it should not be used with 8bit/c. make certain that the material comes into Ae as RGB values and not distorted with a color profile or a gamma adjustment.

This method has the typical shortcomings of a post based effect and will not reach to the quality of the physical based render options in R13. However, I recommit highly to not use integer based footage, as motion blur lives from in most cases from values above 1.0, which is most likely not available with 8 or 16bit/c integer.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: