A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Can someone pls try to reproduce a hair bug i found?
Posted: 28 November 2022 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2021-10-31

For 2 days im trying to find a way to get hair to react to an animated vertex map.

Very simple setup:

Cube with vertex map (with Spherical field in one corner and a Freeze set to grow with MAX as blending mode) -> Add hair to the Cube.

In the hair material i try to control either Length, Scale or Density with the Vertex map by clicking the Texture dropdown: Effects -> Vertex Map and inserting the Tag.

Nothing happens..

I also tried doing the last step in the hair object -> Guides (and Hairs) -> Growth -> Density.

Still nothing.

Did i do something wrong or should this have worked? If so, can someone confirm pls?

Posted: 28 November 2022 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi kreation,

Please have a look here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/el4khwgx2fsci59/CV3_2023_drs_22_HAgt_01.zip?dl=0

You need to render, to see the effect.

If you have a question, please share a reduced (to the problem) project file (zipped and <=4MB). Images do not tell me a lot. Thank you.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 November 2022 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2021-10-31

Hi Dr. Sassi.

It seemed to just have bugged out on me. After restarting and creating a new project, it worked as intended. But for my desired end result im left with the same Problem which turned from a general problem to a redshift problem:

I wanted to have stray hairs grow (or at least appear) on a text that transforms from solid to cloth. The transformation of geometry, textures and hair should be driven by a vertex map with growth. Rendered in Redshift.

The only thing not working is the stray hairs. It seems that redshift is not able to recognize that the hair is gone in certain parts of the model even though the guides are not showing hair. Maybe its some hierarchy problem?

Ive attached both C4D files (standard and redshift) showing the problem in a simple way.

I hope i just did something wrong or that there is a work around.

Thanks for your time.

File Attachments
Hair_masked_by_vertex-map.zip  (File Size: 164KB - Downloads: 50)

Posted: 29 November 2022 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi kreation,

(Sorry for the delay, but I got an #503 then an #504 for the site.)

Thanks a lot for the file!

I have checked this, and yes, something is off. The weird part is that the grow effect is not baked when I try to bake the Vertex Map into a Luminance image sequence. BUT: if I switch off the Hair Object, I can bake it. With that result, the Length of the hair changes.

So, there is a problem, but you know at least one workaround for now. I will file a report.

Sorry for the trouble.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 November 2022 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2021-10-31

Hey thank you so much for the reply and the great work around. I couldnt manage to bake the textures with redshift but it worked with standard.

Posted: 30 November 2022 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, kreation.

Yes, baking with a standard render engine is the way. Having it baked is also easier to preview, as the Grow-Effect does not allow it to move freely back and fore in the timeline.

I will update this thread when I get news about the bug.

My best wishes for your project

Signature 

NEW: