A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Modeling Help
Posted: 12 August 2022 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2018-05-13

I am practicing modeling and have a question for how to properly finish out a threading on a cylinder. The close up screen shots is highlighting my areas of focus for the thread. Attaching a project file and am posting a screen grab of the object for reference. Any help/tips is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

File Attachments
Modeling_Thread.zip  (File Size: 114KB - Downloads: 61)

Posted: 13 August 2022 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi 609leininger,

Thanks for the file.

Here it is back:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtmg5ezgn7sirqe/CV3_S26_drs_22_MOtr_01.c4d.zip?dl=0

The bottles and chars I’m aware of all have a slow-rising thread on the start and end. Like you have on the upper left.

I have placed a similar one on the lower right.

Please have a look at your model when using a Subdivision surface. (can you see the gaps? There are points on top of each other, not connecting.) Those things can be easily fixed with the Optimize function.

I lifted the middle part of the Thread a little bit as it was not symmetrical. I left a selection tag in the scene if you like to have it asymmetrical. (e.g., flatter on the lower and less “sharp on top.)

There were many broken Phong edges, and the Phong tag was set to 180ยบ. I have used the Un-break Phong Function and set the Phong level lower.

If you model in real size, I would suggest using a different model scale, e.g., mm.

Enjoy modeling

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 13 August 2022 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2018-05-13

Dr. Sassi,

As always thank you so much. This is wonderful.

Yes I was aware of the issues in the model, and was needing to pick up my daughter from school and just wanted to get a quick file uploaded.

In regards to your suggestion about modeling in a different scale, what would that do? This client wants everything built physically accurate. If I change the scale, does that help me in the viewport? Thank you for all the help. I really appreciate you.

Posted: 13 August 2022 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2018-05-13

Dr. Sassi,

One more question regarding this model. I am uploading another file with a saved edge selection. Screenshot shows the selected edges I am referring to. This 3 edge selection I am trying to use the slide tool with a control click to copy the edge. When I attempt to do this it does not work. I can’t figure out as to why this does not work? Sometimes I need to adjust the length of the thread, depending on the product. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

File Attachments
Modeling_Thread_v2.zip  (File Size: 122KB - Downloads: 67)

Posted: 13 August 2022 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi 609leininger,

Thanks again for the file.

I report what I see without judging. We all have started at one point and improved from there. With this in mind, I share my observations just as an exchange. Since you mentioned “practicing modeling,” I felt encouraged to do so. Besides that, we all (?) will find our sweet spot with models after a while, which might vary from artist to artist anyway.

The real-world size would be the same, but the numbers in mm (vs. cm) are ten times larger and easier to adjust. When I used a spline circle, it felt not comfortable to adjust its size. (The spline was used as a guide for the “nose” of the thread.)

The Problem with the Slide (copy three edges), the only explanation I have is that it can’t decide which edge to use. If you close the hole, it works fine. Which might results in a tip here. If the thread would be one field longer, the middle edge (the one that is moved inside the object) could be used to slide back, then close the hole.

Enjoy your weekend

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 13 August 2022 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2018-05-13

Dr. Sassi,

All that makes perfect sense!

And that is a great tip for the thread. Thank you! You have a great weekend too!

Posted: 13 August 2022 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, 609leininger!

Thank you.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW: