A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Help With a Technique to Rotate a Quarter-Sphere with Changing Opacity
Posted: 11 May 2022 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2021-08-07

Hi,
I would appreciate some help creating a technique to use a rotating quarter-sphere over the eyes of the arachnid robot you see in the attached image. I want to give him (Rocco) eyelids to express some emotions. The issue is that the eyeballs are transparent spheres to reveal the inner black sphere (pupil) and to allow an internal light to illuminate the eyes. So, I can’t just rotate the quarter-sphere because in the open position the quarter-sphere covers the back of the eyeball which isn’t what I want. I have tried to use a pose-morph tag in point and rotation modes. In point mode I can morph between a scrunched up eyelid and the closed position but the motion is not correct. The points just move in a straight line from their scrunched-up (open) position to the closed position.

What I would like to accomplish is as the eyelid moves from the closed to open position the opacity changes to fully transparent as the eyelid slides across the top of the eye.

I have also tried making the eyelid a MoInstance and in a Cloner and using the visibility option in a Plain Effector with a Linear Field but the eyelid changes visibility instantly only when the pivot/axis point crosses into and out of the field.

Ideally, I would like to position the field aligned with the vertical plane through the center of the eye and have the eyelid change opacity as it crosses into the field while opening.

I’ve also attached a simple c4d project with a white sphere as the eyeball and a blue quarter-sphere as the eyelid and a simple animation showing the motion I would like.

Thanks,
Greg

File Attachments
EyeballExampleForCineV-11May.c4d.zip  (File Size: 93KB - Downloads: 69)

Posted: 11 May 2022 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi bollella,

Thanks for the file.

I would do it this way:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/djKsiVdaNwERfURdOE3UCWcjqoJ2I6cs75RaPAtWokX

If you need a texture, perhaps use a 3D Linear Gradient in the Alpha and connect the XYZ to the eyeball.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 11 May 2022 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2021-08-07

Thanks Dr. Sassi! Looks wonderful!!
Greg

Posted: 11 May 2022 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Great, Greg, thanks for the feedback.

Enjoy

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]