A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Freeze/Remove Dynamics
Posted: 02 December 2021 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2021-08-20

I have a setup that uses dynamics to place cubes into a box.  The box then moves quickly.
I want to freeze their position in the box and disable dynamics.  How do I do that?

File Attachments
freeze dynamics test_002.zip  (File Size: 79KB - Downloads: 91)

Posted: 02 December 2021 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Seth.Olson,

The box moves too quickly, i.e., it exceeds any possible setting.

When do you like to have the cubes “static”?

So, the only point when I think it will be possible is when the box starts to move. This will, of course, look not right.

Anyway, delete the animation from the box, and apply that animation on a new Null Object parent while all elements are under that null object.
In the file below, you can use the Layer to switch off the animation. Then cache the solution with a MoGraph Cache. Then switch on the animation again.

Example (Layer animation—on or off)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/eItFyKOUwErSDdfvmuLvz80TS1dGgVO0kGCn88HNa46
I have also increased the Dampening of the Rigid Body and set the Box to Moving Mesh.

As a side note, and I assume that is focusing on testing, but just in case someone would argue that this should be doable: The box moves in 2/3 rd of a second 188meter while accelerating and stopping. If we ignore these changes and take the distance-time ratio as average speed [sic], it would be close to 700Mph; that is the simplified version. The actual peak value is much higher. Just to explain that the dynamics system is not built for this, I see no need for it.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 02 December 2021 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2021-08-20

When I turned on the animation, the box moved but the cached cubes remained behind.
Attached is a photo of the results.  I am running R25.015
I was having problems like this earlier, where i can’t seem to “freeze” the results of the settled cubes.

While the behavior of the box is unrealistic, it is a stylistic choice of a student and I am trying to get the best of both worlds with the placement of dynamics and parented behavior at the same time.  I am going to explore the placement tool, but there are other uses where freezing dynamics or “making-editable dynamics” could be extremely valuable.

Thank you for your help.

File Attachments
box left cubes behind.zip  (File Size: 14KB - Downloads: 82)

‹‹ Symmetry cancels Cloner?      Quick Keys Bug ››