A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

hair and object buffers
Posted: 12 January 2012 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2007-10-13

Hi,

I know hair is a post effect, but I’m trying to get an object buffer out of my hair object. In the past I was able to do this by converting my hair into polygons ( a setting inside the hair object) and it worked. But i have fill hairs now and I can’t seem to convert the fill hairs into polys. So.. my question is… how do you get an object buffer out of a hair object using fill hairs?

If there is a way around doing that poly mode, I’d love to know as well.

Also.. in R13, does hair react to GI?

thanks!

David
R13

Posted: 12 January 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi David,

Try Multipass>“Atmosphere (Multiplied)”

(... it needs to be inverted). There might be some other objects on this pass, which might need to be excluded in post or such.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 12 January 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2007-10-13

OKAY.. Well that got me a lot of the way there. Its not perfect but I can live with it. Thanks Dr.!

David

Posted: 12 January 2012 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2006-04-04

Hey David,

You’re welcome. Edit: Check out Rick’s tip please./edit.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 12 January 2012 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

You can switch the Render option in the Hair Render tab to Raster (Post) - then you’ll get a Multi-Pass tab where you can set the Alpha to Separate. Then if you create a Multi-Pass for Post Effects, you’ll get an Alpha layer for the hair.

Posted: 13 January 2012 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that refresher, as usual: you’re spot on. Which reminds me to answer only questions about my own tutorials in future. ;o)

I have attached the three versions. I’m curious which one will work best in David’s project.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

‹‹ knot tying?      Curve extrude like modo? ››