A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Opacity material
Posted: 01 June 2021 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2018-08-27

I thought a material shader only affected the geometry it was applied to, but when it comes to opacity, that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’m using Redshift.  If I apply a material to selected polygons I want to hide using a material that that has opacity set to 0%, any other polygons from another mesh and another material that is not transparent that intercept, they too become transparent.

Is there another way to hide surfaces with a material without deleting geometry?

Posted: 01 June 2021 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi brucek5,

Please have a look here:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/vT8L3d9v60HsNi46fKn844PKblcIrnG952YNKsDM5dL

Is this working for you?

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 01 June 2021 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2018-08-27

Hi Dr. Sassi,

See attached project that shows the problem. One things I failed to state is the materials are skin. The attachment has unrated geometry deleted due to it’s sensitivity.

If you disable the objects render visibility, you see the other objects geometry is no longer transparent where the two objects overlap.

Bruce.

File Attachments
Trans_Test.zip  (File Size: 89KB - Downloads: 130)

Posted: 01 June 2021 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much for the file, brucek5.

Set the coordinates for the “Private” object to P.Z. = 0.06 (Subsurface Scattering will not work well otherwise)

Some polygons occupy the same space, which is never a good idea, as this will undoubtedly lead to trouble.

I hope that is a workable solution for you.

All the best

P.S.: next time I’m in a chat with someone from RS, I will ask if there could be a future option to ignore Polygons altogether, as that is certainly faster than anything else.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 June 2021 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2018-08-27

Hi Dr. Sassi,

I look’s like a big part of my problems is the skin shade. In the attached project, I removed the overlapping mesh and aligned the two object point exactly together. As you can see there is a gray outline as if the skin shader does something when it comes to an edge. With a standard material, you don’t see the outline. I wonder if there is a way to “fool” the shader where the edge is or change what the shader does at an edge?

File Attachments
Skin_Test.zip  (File Size: 86KB - Downloads: 132)

Posted: 01 June 2021 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks again for the file, brucek5.

Since the model is only part of the whole, for reasons you mentioned:

Would a Connect object work, while both objects are child objects of it?

I tried it, and the lines are gone. I have tested it with a different color for the second object, and there this doesn’t produce that dark frame.
OF course, I do not have the light set up here, which might influence this.
I’m not aware if there is an option to select edges and change their behavior locally. That would be a question for the RS-tech support.

Since Skin (AFAIK) is a specialized Subsurface Scattering node, I assume the two objects close by will affect each other.

This sounds more like a workaround, but rendering different passes and composite them later?

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 June 2021 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2018-08-27

Dr. Sassi,
Well thanks for trying.  I would LOVE to merge the geometry with the Connect tool, but the two objects have their own point morph tag. The main object has about 60 morphs, and the second object has only 6. I already tried getting a copy of one of small object’s geometry, and a copy of the large object geometry (removing all the morph tags) and making a new large object geometry with the geometry merged, then added the new merged geometry as a new morph point target to the main object morph tag. Unfortunately since the point indexes didn’t match the morph turns out a mess of twisted geometry.

Posted: 01 June 2021 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes, I understand, brucek5.

I had a little chat with someone from Redshift. The dark border is a side effect of how the shader is supposed to work; neighbor objects will affect it.

The Connect would merge the object after the PoseMorph.
Merging those would allow for the Pose Morph only to see the top object in the Connect and Delete. Which will not work, of course. With 60 Poses, that is a no-go.

If you merge both, even an Xpresso set up to transfer the point positions would not work.

I think you need to do it in Compositing and render in passes then. Which means, to render the Skin with no mask, and larger than the the “mask” area, as the mask area itself would introduce darker areas. Then render the surface in pure black and white, or in RGB (for body, body cut, private) if you like to have three masks in one file, either way, It might need some care to get it.

Sorry to have no better answer.

My best wishes for your project

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 03 June 2021 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2018-08-27

Dr. Sassi,

If I remove the morph target from the two objects, then merge them together (Connect tool), can I retain (or combine) the weight maps and their relationship with their bones?

Posted: 03 June 2021 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi brucek5,

Sorry, not to my knowledge. Even the Vamp Tool comes to mind, but the point weight values that would be merged might have not the exact same values. So which one to take? The Vamp tool has no options to mix.

The Weight Tag has an option to save a list; with both lists, you could “Frankenstein” a new list, but that is pretty much not really an option.

Xpresso has no options to mix those, either.

I have suggested Compositing, so I will not stress that again.

How about baking the Skin into an image file? Would that take a lot of quality out of it? One time with the whole body, not excluded parts, so the tonal values are available. I have no information about the animation at all, so this question might be useless.

My best wishes for the Project

Signature 

NEW: