A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Export from C4D to Solidworks (.step or .igs?)
Posted: 20 April 2021 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2016-04-18

Dear reader,

Is it possible to export a C4D file to Solidworks (.step or igs)?
I have made an object and they want to make a mold to cast this mold in plastic.
I have tried an online conversion but it did not work properly.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Michiel van der Velden

Posted: 20 April 2021 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Michiel van der Velden,

I have no access to Solidworks, but on their website, they have a list of formats:

https://www.spatial.com/resources/glossary/solid-works-file-format

DXF should work. It is one of the older 3D formats. Sent a small test first and make sure (in a two-way communication) that the file is working correctly. Molds can be expensive.

Native engineering CAD formats are not polygon-based; they are more a mathematical description of the shape in question.

This kind of data could be compared to an Illustrator file or a spline in C4D. With a few points, a possible complex shape can be set up.
In contrast are pixel-based images, which can be seen as an example for polygon-based models. It is easy to turn an illustrator file into a pixel-based image, but the other way around is not that simple, and the results are not that nice, to say the least.

In CAD applications, this (path to pixel) is going from a nearly perfect shape to a limited resolution based on polygons. Similar to the Adaptive mode in Splines.

Any 3D shape in Cinema 4D is based on segments or polygons, not based on a mathematical definition. Whereby the Volume might sit between chairs here. But that is not helping here.

Export a DXF and reimport it into a new scene.

My best wishes for your project

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]