A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

UV Edit and BodyPaint in R23
Posted: 03 January 2021 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2019-07-22

I went looking for a tutorial on using the new UV Edit and Bodypaint for R22/23 update and couldn’t find anything newer than 2019. Am I just not using the right keyword? (BTW: the search engine is really pretty lame).

My particular issue has to do with moving a texture around on a polygon. I have seen demos where textures are moved around and scaled using the axis tool (in 2D) while in UV Edit mode, but nothing I try works. In the example attaached, I have a large house floorplan mapped to a plane. I would like to scale up the floorplan to display just a single room on the plane. And if I need to look at another room, I can scroll it over or up and down until I see the part I need.

I thought a nice deep dive into UV Edit and Bodypaint tutorial would do the trick, but I couldn’t find one on Cineversity - again, probably not using the right term.

Hassenfratz et al. have some good overviews on their respective sites, but they are hit and miss so far as a systematic understanding.

Any suggestions?

File Attachments
Floorplan Archive.zip  (File Size: 1257KB - Downloads: 147)

Posted: 03 January 2021 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi fordmar,

Thanks for the file. Very much appreciated.

With a Primitive-Object (not editable), while in UV mode, you need to use the

Material Tag> Attribute Manager> Tag> Offset, to move the texture around.

Otherwise, you need to change the projection method to Flat, for example, to use the Texture Mode.

Please have a look here, screen capture:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/biEddiQ53sixVXQm7ejB2rlqJ3mOrTDSYTzs9WFrBtJ

Happy New Year.

P.S.: Here are some features from the last year:

What’s new in Cinema 4D S22
New UV Unwrap command for a workflow based on edge selections (Seams).
New, comprehensive settings for the UV Editor, incl. Display of UV Seams, Overlaps, Distortions, etc.
New, automatic UV mesh unwrap and relax function: Packing.
Separate menu in the UV Manager for packing UV Islands.
Two new commands: UV Weld and UV Weld and Relax.
UV Pins to permanently affix UV points.
There are no longer separate UV Point and UV Polygon modes (instead, the modes Use Point, Use Edge, and Use Polygon with which both geometry and UV elements can be edited).
New color settings dialog for the Texture UV Editor.

What’s new in Cinema 4D R23
New UV command Align UV Islands.
New UV command UV Straighten.
New UV command UV Rectangular.
Simplified Quantization control in the UV Editor.
New improved UV snapping.
A grid can now be displayed in the Texture UV Editor.
Multi-editing of UV meshes.
New UV Island option in the Move tool (UV Editor).

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 January 2021 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2019-07-22

Ah! Flat projection is what I was looking for!  Thank you!!

These features look great! Hats off to you for being able to find what you’re looking for in that haystack. What fields does the search tool reference? And is there a secret handshake for finding a specific topic? i.e. searching for “What’s new in Cinema 4D S22” (as a string) returns no results.

Posted: 03 January 2021 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, fordmar.

When you open the Help Content, it will have its very own entry about what is new.
See the image below.

This is on the top now, but it was on the bottom of the list in previous years.
If you find the search engine not sufficient, you might copy the text and use a text-editor that fits your needs. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that the search could have some improvements. Perhaps open a ticket with Maxon and suggest exactly that. Perhaps logical operators used in other search engines, like - or + (without/and).
https://support.maxon.net/index.php

Mostly this help-option works with the right mouse click from the C4D-interface. But if you have an idea of searching for a tool or function where you have no name, I would be happy to hear it. It is the main problem that no one has solved so far. (I just wasted an hour with Adobe’s “idea” about it…). So, I’m 100% with you on that theme. It is a global problem.

All the best

https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/hard_surface_modeling_uv_unwrapping

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]