A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Procedural shaders (tile, wood, noise etc.) with ProRender
Posted: 10 March 2020 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2015-08-30

Hi Everyone,

I would like to understand how procedural textures are handled within ProRender, as I don’t really get it why I’m having visible tiling issues.
If I correctly understand, first any procedural shader has to be backed by ProRender based on the texture tile size you are defined. Following that logic, if I would like to cover let’s say a 1mx5m surface with no visible tiling and nice randomness, I would need to specify this texture size in the same ratio 1:5 and let’s say I would give 1024x5120 size. So following this logic the next tile seamlessly should happen after the 5th m, so if this is increased to 1mx10m I should have a smooth seamless tiling. Unfortunately I don’t get any seamless tiling, and I actually getting the same result as the OpenGL preview in the 3D views (Surface>Tile.Triangles 3 for instance).
Seems like the Noise shader works, but I cannot tell but with Seema patterns you could see the issue again.
Also the point of procedural textures, is to have a unrecognizable pattern, and random variations in it.
How does Redshift do for instance with procedural textures compared to C4D?
Is it itself the technology or the ProRender implementation is limited in C4D?
Do I setup something wrong, or non of the procedural surface shaders are not fully compatible with ProRender.
I love creating my own procedural textures, as well as I got now the hang of ProRender too and I’m hoping I don’t have to bake out textures to use it.

Any advise or tips is appreciated.

Mishi

Signature 

MSZ

Posted: 10 March 2020 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mishi,

Can you please share your ProRender setup that causes the problem, just the material, and a plane-object. 
Why tile procedurals, when you like them to have no seams, to begin with? I will get all the information with a scene file.
To attach it here, it needs to be zipped.

The ProRender has certainly some limitations.
https://help.maxon.net/us/index.html#69602

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 March 2020 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2015-08-30

Hi Dr. Sassi,

I attached a sample file. you will clerkly see tiling with ProRender vs. Physical. I would like to get around this issue at least in my renderings where this texture vanishes with the perspective. so maybe for 10-20m from camera. the tiling would be used for decorative sidewalk pattern.
The only difference I see in your link that you may suggest using nodes vs. traditional surface shaders. Is there a difference in them? I looked at the noise shader, second material in the file, using gradient to generate similar tiling, but renders completely odd and it does not randomize the tile colouring as it would be essential for me.

Thank you for looking into this. If it’s impossible to achieve as in Physical renderer, than I will have no choice just bake a large section of this pattern and apply it as traditional texture.

Best
Mishi

File Attachments
Procedural Shader ProRender Issue.c4d.zip  (File Size: 90KB - Downloads: 162)
 Signature 

MSZ

Posted: 10 March 2020 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mishi,

Thanks a lot for the file, that helps a lot!

Procedural shaders are typically based on non-pixel based information, in other words, an algorithm. These can be 2D or 3D based descriptions, which will lead to (more often than not) entirely different results.

It depends on the algorithm where it takes its information from. You can see that with the variety of Noise shader options, some have the option to switch among the options of 2D (UV), Texture, Object, World, Camera, Screen, and Raster. Given these options in the mix with 2D and 3D calculations, the results will be quite different.

The way the Pro Render takes information and how the Physical uses it will not be the same. There is not an added option to streamline things in general.

Please have a look, I took your two shaders and tiled them seamlessly:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/6GOClyUMINNNHTWqZ7lqtwzjlhB5GA82MpxhFqws52P

The tile was doable inside the shader itself, for the gradient, I needed to use the Projection Shader as a “wrapper”, to get consistent results between the two renderings.

I hope that little pointer helps.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 10 March 2020 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2015-08-30

DR Sassi,

Thank you! this is actually amazing. I never thought about setting the projection inside the procedural textures. also the triangles in prorender results what I’ve been looking for!
Thank you again.
I wish there would be more ProRender cineversity tutorials with proRender including some volumetric fog (with volumes) they show in the ProRender demo (with the space ship). There is a radio silence regarding ProRender and I don’t know what this suggest from Maxon. (abandoning it and replacing it with RS?)

Anyhow this is great and will be very useful for my current project.

Best
Mishi

Signature 

MSZ

Posted: 11 March 2020 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Mishi, thanks for the kind feedback.

Regarding ProRender, I signed an NDA in 2006, and I keep it that way: Silence. You might understand, but I indeed share your curiosity.

To get more tutorials, there is a Tutorial Suggestion Forum wink

Let me know if there is something else, I’m happy to look into it.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW: