A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Tracker question
Posted: 08 March 2020 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Hello
I’m trying to understand something about the C4d Motion Tracker.
Is it an “either/or” choice between Auto or Manual?  Can you run a manual track and then combine it with Auto?

If you can’t, and you need to pick Manual, what is the recommended amount of user tracks to create a good 3d solve?

Thanks!

Posted: 08 March 2020 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

Manual trackers will be used with a higher priority if you run auto as well. Which means, if they are not better than the auto tracker, you might ruin the shot.

You might know most of this from the old days, but to make sure I mention it and based that others read along as well.

The minimal amount of tracker will be around nine, some might say lower, some higher.  The fact is, they need to be uninterrupted and very precise. Avoid anything in the distance, avoid reflections, and other things that might change based on movement (camera, scene, etc.).
You should use a lens calibration first, as any distortion makes part of the picture move slower than faster. This will not sit well with just a few trackers.

I typically start in the middle, place a lot of AutoTracker (Create Auto Tracks) and track, then move the time slider to each end and do it again. Based on the length of the track, I do it more or less often. It takes less and less time, the more you do it.
After that, I go through the whole clip and delete typically tracker that seemed to have fetched a target that is not really one.

Motion blur, Rolling Shutter, and lock-off shots (tripod) might cause problems. Whereby I had good results with pan shots, and locating the camera with the camera Calibrator.

Please keep in mind that the Lens length is based on a full-frame, but RED, for example, can use less space of the sensor than its maximum size.

With the right Lensprofile, a cleaned-up 2D track, and lens length entry, things should generally work.

More details:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/motion_tracking_object_tracking_inside_cinema_4d/motion_tracking_object_tracking_inside_cinema_4d_introduction

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 March 2020 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Thanks Sassi, that makes sense.
I need to watch that whole series by Athanasios…
One quick question : do you recommend any particular way of placing objects correctly in space with regards to the camera position?  I sometimes find it very hard to find the right position/rotation values in 3d space with large areas (like replacing a fence in a drone shot), and my typical method is to find the closest feature near the object I want to replace, and have my 3d object placed as close as possible to that null object.  However I often struggle with the right coordinates for a believable replacement.

Thanks!

Posted: 08 March 2020 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

The idea is, of course, that we define the X, Y, and Z-axis along with at least one of their length.

If you have a studio set up, use some C-Stands, to allow for that, preferably close to the camera, just some tracker markers. For drone shots, I have found it useful over the past few years to have the movement of the drone extended, so the tracker has extra material to work with. Those extensions should be slow and capture something rectangular, if possible. The Grip-Truck is typically a good idea. Measure its size, as usual, the better the set survey, the better the outcome.

After the track is calculated, add the Tracking Tags to it.
https://help.maxon.net/us/index.html#53374

Some sources:
If you can get hold of a copy of Tim Dobbert’s book (edition 1 or 2, both are great for preparation consideration), or his Gnomon DVDs/Classes, that will support your prep-work a lot.
(Matchmoving: The Invisible Art of Camera Tracking by Tim Dobbert). He was on set in 2005 when we filmed with Marty Rosenberg (ILM), and parts of the footage were even used inside his DVD course. For me, he is the prime source for anything tracking. You can also get used copies for a few bucks!
I have had taken many tracking courses over at FXPHD, but only a few are online right now. From the nearly hundred I took many were about tracking.

Let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]