A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Connect Objects + Delete / Current State To Object
Posted: 04 September 2018 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2018-05-13

Hello Sassi,

I have Googled and searched the C4D documentation but still finding it hard to get a clear answer. I have seen these functions:

Connect Objects (with optional Delete)
Current State to Object
Connect Object (from the Array menu)

Please could you explain the major differences or situations where these would be used? I realise there are many different situations so just after the main differences or where one tool would be used in preference over another.

Many thanks!
David

Posted: 04 September 2018 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi David,

Connect Objects (with optional Delete)
If you have two or more polygon objects, then some options might not work. Like building “bridge” polygons among them, with real connections, instead of just visible (it looks connected, but an deformer might separate it.
Also, to have many objects with different axis position might not work very well, e.g., as clones. Note here that the each axis represent the “world-system” for the points of an object. To run the optimizer after such might be mandatory.

Current State to Object
The simplest case would be an object that is generated, (and/or) deformed and perhaps otherwise treaded. Additionally perhaps with options that needs to be done each and every frame as well, hence it might take a lot of time.
Besides that, there is a hierarchy/priority in set ups. Once it is a polygon object, the problems of priority are much simpler. It typically creates a polygon copy. To run the optimizer after such might be good.

Connect Object (from the Array menu)
It is the “Swizz Knife” for a lot of problems, but typically, think of a Generator which produces a new single object out of many. Note that it is a process that needs time, each frame. Simplified: if connects objects without the need to commit to it (as in “final”) and it has an option to “melt” points, without deleting the double (multi) points.
In MoGraph, I use it for example to connect all clones of a Cloner (often single polygon objects) to have one Object that can be used in a new Cloner in the Object Mode.

If in doubt, keep the original objects.

There is certainly more, but I hope I could shed some light on the main differences. If you get to a point where you don’t know, share a simplified file and mention your target. I’m happy to have a look into it.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 05 September 2018 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2018-05-13

Many thanks again Sassi!

-David

Posted: 05 September 2018 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, David.

I hope these few lines have helped, to get more familiar with those.

I had to think about your question today, each time I made something editable, like from the Sweep object, to connect the caps.

Let me know if you encounter a case where you are uncertain about those, and I will have a look into it.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]