A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Lightbulb Clones Inside Text
Posted: 30 May 2018 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2015-08-31

Hi Doc -

I hope all’s well with you.

I working on a project where I’m attempting to put lightbulbs into metallic text to create a look similar to what you might see at a carnival. 

I’m attempting to use a Cloner to create multiple bulbs that I can then apply along an invisible spline running through the middle of each letter.  You can use the attached Ref file as reference for what I’m after.

There may be an easier way than what I’m doing, but I tried creating a spline for one of the letters (the M) and using it to align the lightbulbs along the letter.  Every time that I do this, the lightbulb resizes and I can’t figure out how to shrink it down.  There has to be an easy way, but I’m missing it. 

Can you please help me figure out how to get the lightbulb to fit multiple times inside the letter?  I’m also open to any advice you have about ways to streamline the process of cloning the bulbs through all of the letters.

It’s worth noting that I can’t connect the entire lightbulb object because I need to have the filament object act as mesh for my Redshift area light.

I’ve attached a simplified version of the project.

Thanks so much!

Mark

Posted: 30 May 2018 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mark,

The Clones ignore the PSR of the child, if Fix Clone is checked. You need to do the scaling in the Cloner Object> Transform.

Yes, the Spline version, based on your reference is the best way to go.

Just a few points, but not including a solution:

There were over the years a lot of tips how to get the middle edge, and my best attempt to do so is here:
http://old.cineversity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2720&PN=1&TPN=6
(second and third post.) Get a hard edge and select those, also here, I’m not even slightly convinced that this will save any time, given a level of quality, nor will come close to something usable.

You will find other options, like split the edges in half or whatever. Lots of clean up work to do afterwards. Your reference image showed me that it has to be in the exactly middle with a certain distance, and keeping turning points as well. Or fill the letter with Dynamics, or Push Apart Effector. Use the Extrude inner, etc, etc. None of those will make you happy. Again, I exclude all the semi automatic option, based on your reference.
Even the CV-Oultine (CV_Splines To Objects) with a negative offset will not really give you something to work directly with.

In the example, you have seven different letter. Then it repeats. I guess with some helper guides you will draw these middle lines faster than any method I’m aware of, given teh clean up work and adjustments needed.

Another option would be, set the caps in tiny squares, make them editable and select the polygons where you need a bulb. This could be used and is very flexible.

Anyway, I would go with a manual creation here.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 30 May 2018 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2015-08-31

Ah, such a silly thing for me to overlook.  Sadly, it happens all the time.  smile  Thanks, as always, for your help, Doc.  You’re amazing!

Posted: 30 May 2018 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Mark.

Yes those things happen, I know that feeling, handling the heavy stuff – while missing out on the easy parts. wink

Let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

Enjoy.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]