A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Symmetry Features not working.
Posted: 18 April 2018 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2018-02-05

Okey Dokey,

looks like I’m stumped on this one too. I’m trying to figure out why my symmetry options for “Clamp points on axis” are not working. I’m trying to extrude inner while keeping the edges where the symmetry occurs snapped together. I’ve open and closed c4d, optimized, built new meshes within the same file and I can’t seem to figure this out. Can anyone help me. Its likely something basic? I’ve attached the model with the message.

Thank you,

Fauntail

Posted: 18 April 2018 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Fauntail,

I will send you an upload link.

Talk to you soon.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 18 April 2018 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

Dude, you’re seriously too awesome. Thanks Dr. Sassi!

Posted: 18 April 2018 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Very nice of you, did you got the Cineversity Private Message with the link? Since your attachment wasn’t part of the initial post.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 18 April 2018 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

Thanks for the help Dr. Sassi. I’m so sorry for the confusion. On my computer I read that my file was attached. I’m trying to send again.

Basically, I have 1/4 of a cube with symmetry in such a way that it makes a whole cube. My question is that I can’t seem to use extrude inner without creating an additional face/ poly where the edge on the symmetry seems to be. I clicked on the “clamp points on axis” under symmetry in the attributes manager, but that is not working. Am I doing something wrong or should this be working properly.

Posted: 18 April 2018 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

Okay, I figured it out. Seems like the “Clamp points button” is a little inconsistent? I had to check each the “Clamp Points” box on and off for each axis and then it worked. thanks for your help as always, Dr. Sassi. You da’ maaaaaaan! smile

Posted: 18 April 2018 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Fauntail,

Great it worked out. Thanks for updating your thread. I will take down the upload link then.

Let me explain why I was I waiting for a file, not meant as a critique, not at all. If I can’t see what you have set up, I can’t know e.g., the Tolerance you have set, etc., etc. Take only 1.000 tools as your library to work with, including functions and options, set up a few in a scene and you have millions of combinations. NO ONE knows all of these, nor how they might counter each other! I try since years to read between the lines, try to imagine what happens, but on the end, there is zero replacement for a file.
Perhaps something else was “active” and counteracted the work, guessing (from where I look at) would be rather non-professional from my side (not asking about, and might wasting a lot of time on both sides: I really need a file to “see”. With each update, even minor, things could have changed, I try not to answer from my memory, nor just hope it will work, I like to reply with the maximum certainty, and yes, things are not always simple. However, in the past nearly 30K replies I have given in the past 14 years, the scene file was the clear key as base for any problem solving. hence why I ask.

Again: Note that some of the options are highly (!) dependent on the Tolerance setting.

As you mentioned, you figured it out. Well done. grin

Cheers

Patrick talks shortly about the effect you are dealing with here, is that similar?
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/boston_terrier_illustration_modeling_the_body_using_knife_tool_in_loop_mode
starting at @06:15

Signature 

NEW: