A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Stiffness v Rubber
Posted: 20 February 2018 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-05

Hi all - longtime C4D user, but first time posting here.

I’ve got a technical question regarding cloth.

In the cloth tag > main tag settings , you have iterations, stiffness, flexion etc. The two I’d like to compare are stiffness and rubber.

My interpretation of the C4D help file suggests:

Stiffness:
as it approaches 100% - the spring constraints attempt to maintain the distance between vertices.

Rubber:
Quote: “...controls the amount of stretching that the cloth object will be able to do.” That is vague, but suggests the opposite of Siffness…

Yet these are clearly different parameters - I’d really like to know EXACTLY what rubber does. It’s hard enough to set up this stuff when the manual is clear on the parameter values…

Posted: 20 February 2018 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mike Abbott,

My personal take on this and the short answer would be:
• Anything except the Rubber cares about the relation or better constellation among the points. Stiffness, as a general parameter for all Springs.
• The Rubber defines how far the points can be changed in distance to each other.

This results in an overlapping behavior, as you mentioned it correctly: these are (kind of) opposite ideas given one material.
I would see it as a set-up where the leverage is getting longer (while stretching) and a more distance point has so more power over the structure.
While the leverage is getting longer the previous settings (stiffness) has less influence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_advantage

I hope that helps.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]