A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Help in the texture
Posted: 27 August 2017 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2013-07-16

Hii
Iwant do like that floor many texture in one floor.. Iam sorry iam bad in texture and that project just education… Can any one di for me example like it please to learn how do it

https://img07.deviantart.net/7110/i/2016/089/1/d/empty_land_by_noro8-d9x14vm.jpg

Posted: 27 August 2017 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ahmedmostafa,

I should give an example and motivate you to study it. Well, I guess that would be a bad advice, as you mentioned a while ago that you want to be a very good 3D artist. Which sounds to me, you are not interest in just pushing some buttons to get “something” on the fly. So, here is a path to get things toward the quality you find in the image above.

Even texturing can be as simple as placing a predefined Material (Content Browser) on an object, the whole skill set to texture scenes like the above, is based on something that I would describe as a job in its own right. Yes, there are great tools available, like the Substance Products, but even those need to be understood.

I assume you have checked the QuickStart Guide from MAXON, available in the Download section. Or the Texture tutorial in the Help Content.

This scene (your image link) has a lot of challenges in it, which from my point of view can’t be learned by just dissecting an example scene. It would be as effective as tracing Mona Lisa through transparent paper with a ball pen. There is so much more. I’m certain there is someone out there, breaking down the steps needed as with the tracer paper, but with the next project you run against the wall, or it looks like the initial one. If you really want to learn it, use a camera and shoot, shoot hundred different road materials, explore them, see how light changes it and how water will change it as well, etc. After hundred materials have been shot from very different roads—you will know what I mean. However: The analysis of the images is the key, to see the difference. To just slap some textures on top of each other, will look exactly like that. While exploring hundred images, you get an eye for details and how it makes you read the surface. There (!) the work of a texture artist starts. Not in 3D and push buttons. Now shoot other materials that you like to use, from all directions and in many light situations. Explore each series of the hundred. (This was a drill an artist from Industrial light and Magic) gave us, thirteen years ago). BTW. Have a gray card with you. This is not to collect textures, it is to study them. What you don’t know, or recognize, you can’t simulate! Believe me there is more than you might have seen so far in this image, to even replicate it with new textures.

But yes, you will do something right now and so, do this at least. Recreate it.
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/vfx_with_c4d_tank_crash_part_04
Find other texturing tutorials here, and yes, they teach basics, which you need to get there.

To get the scene you shared with hand painted material might take years of practice. So, I guess that was not the question.

I have created a long series, “Photography for 3D Artists”, see link below. I have packed many decades of professional photography into it. I worked even then two years on it, time mostly invested to research if my knowledge was spot on and to make stuff right. I think it is fair to ask to watch them, e.g., White Balance, Color Management and Texture.

The simple answer would be, shoot stuff that you need and place it in a scene. Material-tags more on the right will lay on top of material on the left. Use an Alpha channel to see through “holes” or to make transitions. This can be all layered in Photoshop. And if you are not savvy, learn the Blend modes. A bad idea is to flip through them and hope things stay that way, Know what your are doing, just setting one without knowing them is not where you want to be as an professional. Yes, Blend-Modes are discussed here, in detail.

Get savvy with the texture projection methods. I have discussed every single one here on Cineversity. This is a standard knowledge, must have skill.

Next skill, go one time through the Material channels, and get to know the options. Then write them down by hand. With this list, explore anything close to you, and observe what would be needed to recreate this.
From time to time go back to the channels in the material and learn every single parameter, what is Fresnel, what Normal, what Bumb and how does Displacement works. What is different in reflections and specular, etc, etc.

Observe how light and shadow changes the appearance of material. How does the viewing angle of the material changes its appearance, is a critical question.

Next, no material is really new, most stuff shows and tells the story of the interaction with the real world. This is part of the sub text of an image, and shouldn’t be done just automatically. This needs training of the eye, and then you can create this texture even better. The example image shows that very well.

Modelling, any texture can be destroyed, if the result of the modeling is not in agreement with the material you map onto it.
This is just the beginning, the core package. Just watch a candle or your skin, how the light moves, and so it goes on and on.

I would like to point out three books, that might jumpstart the whole project.
First, learn the color wheel, Johannes Itten, “The Elements of Color”. It is a main knowledge, and ones learned, it will carry you a long way.
Another basic book “Digital Texturing and Painting, by Owen Demers, which is out of print, but available used often for a few “coins”
More in depth “Digital Rendering and lighting”, by Jeremy Birns, where I saw the 2nd edition even for $1 as used copy.

This is just the beginning, the core package. Just watch a candle or your skin, how the light moves, and so it goes on and on.
There is of course so much more, but I think I gave you an nice to-do list. Try to layer things in Photoshop first! Seriously.

With all that said, mark areas in that image you want to create, Start with areas that have only one material in it. Then areas just with two, study the transition. When you feel savvy with it try the next, until you feel good with all parts, then mix them in one scene.

My best wishes for this journey you are about to have

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]