A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Voronoi fracture and s&t
Posted: 02 February 2017 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Hello

I’m trying to render edges of an object with S&T, and I only want edges that are not created by my Voronoi object.  So I select the edges before applying the Voronoi, make an edge selection, and put them in the S&T style tag that I apply to my object.  I set it to “include” only that selection.
However I’m still getting the Voronoi pieces in the S&T render….Is there any way around that?

Thanks!

Posted: 02 February 2017 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

The edge selection that you did, let’s say of a cube, would create twelve single entries in this Selection Tag for the twelve edges. After ‘fracturing’ the cube these twelve edges do not exist anymore, as each junk is generated newly, and no new selection tag is produced.
The options for Selections of the Voronoi are limited to six different kinds, see Attribute Manager Selection tab. Those are generated tags for the Voronoi object, as it keeps all “chunks” inside of one Generator. The selection made to the cube (12) would be multiplied many times. Once it is is made editable, only those six variations are applied to each chunk. Nothing from previous selection of the “source object” are inherited.

So after trying to create a “old-edge” selection, I placed the successful result of that back to the Voronoi Object and the selection is ignored. 

(I made the Voronoi editable. Then “Connect and Delete” to get one object back so I could define a Selection for a Generated object - as it contains all. The idea was to use the generated selections and after selecting the unwanted parts, I used Selection>Hide Selected. So I was left with the original edges after a while. I was able to only select the wanted edges. But this Selection tag was not compatible with the Voronoi Object.

After that I use the Fracture object for the “Connect and Deleted One”, but once it was in the Fracture Object, the same problem happens, all was newly generated and the Selection was ignored.

My only idea is make Suggestion to MAXON about your needs, but I guess it will be too late for an implementation.

I tried more, e.g., VAMP to transfer data, in case you have the same idea, but it failed as well, badly to be honest.

If you can illuminate me more what the target is, perhaps that pushes a new idea…

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 02 February 2017 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Thanks Sassi

My goal is to take a piece of geometry and trace the existing edges.  The Voronoi fracture should not be taken into account….
Would it be helpful if I did a little sketch?

Thanks!

Posted: 02 February 2017 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

Sorry, anything but making it completely editable and drive perhaps all the chunks via XPresso, based on a MoGraph set up, seems to be out of luck. I tried last nigt two hours to get anything working and, as I wrote, I’m not able to work around this.

How much a sketch could be helpful? I doubt currently to get anything done as long as the chunks are driven just by a group selection.

Sorry, Perhaps supprt again?

Al the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]