A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Max to (FBX or OBJ)
Posted: 15 July 2016 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-06-17

Hi

I’m hoping that someone that has a 3DX Max license can convert this file for me.
Or something that I can work with in Cinema.

https://www.hightail.com/download/cUJVek9xZy9wM2tLSk1UQw

Thank you in advance.

Posted: 15 July 2016 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi shadowgin,

I checked if there is any other option (and downloaded some of the tips given, all over the place, as demo app, nope…!), “. 3ds” is often mentioned and possible in C4D (perhaps to a certain degree), “.max” seems to be way more isolated, and even Autodesk’s very own FBX converter ignores this file. (… which is available for win/mac), I checked it with yours.

Perhaps check in a Max related forum?
Crossing the fingers someone is so kind here!

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 15 July 2016 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2008-06-17

Thank you Dr. Sassi.
I did also post it in CG Society’s forum but I don’t think anyone will since they think I’m spam. There has been someone that asked for file conversions and gave the pc guys viruses. I don’t get the purpose of it but I am lumped with them since it’s a free site.

Thank you again for always finding the time to reply.

Posted: 15 July 2016 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, shadowgin.

Someone even mentioned a 3D package with that ability, so I signed up for the demo version, and I couldn’t open your file (I had a v3 of that app before, so I though, perhaps…).

I certainly understand the frustration.

Yes, virus and and what not. I found even a website that promised to convert anything, but the reviews to that site seemed all generated for one review only each time…. It is not an easy life to be safe: “Just upload the file”, which allows them free access to my hard-drive. Honestly, who is so careless? So, I understand the CG artists to be careful. If you are on windows, perhaps a demo version of 3ds…?

I certainly know that you have thought about asking the source creator to deliver a more usable format. There must be a reason, but I had to mention it.

Fingers crossed, and my best wishes for your weekend.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 15 July 2016 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2008-06-17

No luck from the original artist. Yep I keep running into things that makes me rethink about going back to a pc. I haven’t been on one in 9 years now. I think the original guy is on vacation or something.

Ohh well. Have a great weekend Dr. Sassi

Posted: 15 July 2016 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I hope you will get a solution.

Changing platform needs to be considered very well, it is often the “small” stuff we forget to consider.

I wouldn’t change ever, but that is based on very individual reasons. Using the one that I use in my third decade. There is some muscle memory that I would lose, and with that a lot of time as well.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Dynamic not Working ››