A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

C-Motion Not Working Correctly
Posted: 23 June 2016 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-05-31

The Quick Start of R17 talks about C Motion.
I used the files that came with Quick Start and did exactly what the page 80 told me to.
My Maxon man’s legs are moving fine, but his arms are messed up like the attached picture.
Please help me with suggestions.
Thank you.

Posted: 23 June 2016 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bun-H,

Without the scene file I can’t really tell what was going on. I need to see all the parts. Did you use the add walk cycle from the character, if I do this, it puts the handles in not the Character Components.

(Click on the C-Motion Icon and find the Controller in the field, e.g., R-IK-Arm, then go to the four sliders)

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 June 2016 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-05-31

Hi, thank you for a prompt reply.
I tried to attach the c4d file, but the error message came telling “he filetype you are attempting to upload is not allowed. Allowed Filetypes: psd, pdf, swf, sit, tar, tgz, zip, gzip, bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, jpe, png, txt, html, doc, docx, xl, xls, flv, mov, qt, mpg, mpeg, mp3, aiff, aif, aac,”

Posted: 23 June 2016 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Ok, Bun-H, things like that happen and no idea why, but please check your Cineversity PM [private message] and use the upload link that I have set up for you.

I will take a look into it (I might take an extra hour, as my wifi hardware crashed and I have to dash out to the Apple store and buy a new one. Sorry for the expected delay.
Edit, WIFI is freshly installed and I’m ready :o) /edit

Talk to you soon :o)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 June 2016 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Perhaps it might support your efforts to see my little sketch of it.
I just took the figure from the MAXON server (Tutorial files) and clicked the elements in. Then adjusted it quickly and used the Bind option.

Clicked on the walk cycle and done. It is really a “quick and dirty” set up, just to explore the model, and so is this clip, just as a quick note:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/slJlDuUeCzXQs38dyw1ksXpmX5HW4atu8J6ouE0bLhk?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

I recorded as well a little clip, which I couldn’t upload before.

Let me know if that helps

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_ANmm_03.c4d.zip  (File Size: 1003KB - Downloads: 147)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 June 2016 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2012-05-31

Thank you so very much kindly. I will have to study the file and work on it this weekend.
Again, I appreciate your support!

Posted: 24 June 2016 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much, Bun-H, again this was just a “quick-click-click” set up, nothing really…

My offer stands, and you have an upload link for your scene file in your PM (Cineversity Private Messages).

Enjoy your weekend

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 25 June 2016 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: Perhaps try this…

Open an empty scene.

Call up the Character Object

Use a Biped preset and ask for everything, arms, fingers, thumb, legs and toes, etc.

Do not adjust anything, just leave it as it is.

Then without changing anything, press the “Add Walk” button [Character Object active>> Attribute Manager> Object> Animate> Add Walk]

This should work/walk just fine.

Now you have something to compare on a minimal level.

====

It is doable in under a minute, see the clip: [download the clip if you like]

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/248zOAyTbijO6rp2DUxszpHKa33XEvf3mh7dFdIpEoj?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_ANwc_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 319KB - Downloads: 141)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 27 June 2016 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bun-H,

The first thing I notice was, that all your views were set to perspective. Note that each time a view-window is active and you press the camera active square, this window will switch to the Camera. I can’t tell how long this was all set to perspective for each window, but to “Adjust” the rig, this is not advised to be in perspective.

Check out the image on page 77 and compare it with your set up. These dots are super important to get right. The arms are not starting at the spine.

To start over I would use a new scene, and delete environment including the “Kamera” (German spelling for Camera).  If you use the current scene, delete the weight maps and Skin for body and eyes. Then clear the Binding list.

The Binding should include only the body and eyes, nothing else in the Binding>Object field!
Save!
Now check all points (Adjust) again. IF there are changes made closer to the spine, they will affect part later in the chain. Double and triple check that.
Then try the Walk again. Make certain you press this button only ONE TIME! Not twice or so.

f you encounter a problem, start over. If that happens often save after each step incrementally. Then go back to two steps before you felt safe. Even the whole set up looks like a playful game, it needs to be precise. Any mistake done now, will affect anything later, especially decision made for animation. A huge mess can happen. So, double check at least.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 June 2016 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2012-05-31

Thank you again.
Unfortunately, It seems I am out of luck…
I adjusted the rigs and moved collar bones away from the center.
When I looked at it, the right collar bone weighed even on the left side of the geometry mesh, so I removed the weight.
When I clicked “Add Walk,” the Maxon man’s both shoulders came down and messed up as it did at the beginning.
I was doing this over 5 hours now.
I am overheated…
I will keep my eyes aside for a while and will come back to continue to work on this.
Again, thank you for trying to help me.

Posted: 29 June 2016 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bun-H,

To know where you are at the moment. I try to learn each month a complete new software, to keep that feeling fresh. It is so easy to get non-sympathetic otherwise. I hit the wall often in these new “toys”.

What I do when I can’t get it to work, I reduce the set up. I start perhaps completely over. A tip that I can add is where do you felt to most comfortable, from there you need to go several steps back, as something happens there.

Perhaps create a little box character just very rough and simple. A cube and pulled out arms and legs as well the head from there. I use a 3x3x3 segment cube for that, and start to check from there. If that works I go further.

Or leave the Character for a moment alone and use a cylinder with just joints and get savvy with all the process involved. Personally, I think the Character object is a great option to very get very fast very far, but the threshold to get on top of all its elements is certainly a strong one.

Is there any chance you get a 1on1 hour with someone? I do have no advantages from suggesting it, but somehow there must be something that happens that might be spotted in a guided session. Just a thought.

I hope you delete each time Skin and Weighting when you start over, to leave them in might be really not a good idea. Sharing the file might help me to give you a better guidance.

—-

The weighting and influence of the joints to the mesh are all adjustable. There are good tutorials from Bret Bays here on Cineversity about it. (His latest film credit were for Zootopia, I saw his name even twice in the credits, so what he says - is just the best I can think of).

—-

Having said all of that: As mentioned above, stop being in all windows in Perspective mode, that is from where I look at the first point to fail, as you need for the Adjust option an orthogonal view. So delete the “Kamera”! Set: perspective, top, front and right view.
. Now look in the right view, while in Adjust mode, and can you see the red, and blue dots, they need to be INSIDE of that body, NEVER EVER outside.
Look where the joints of the pelvis legs should be—not under the rips, arms even above the body… This is not in the Quick-Start Manual. This will not work. You can pull these things anywhere, but that will not help. Character animation has the need for observation.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 June 2016 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Since the problem is here C-Motion, we need to have a perfect start for it.

My suggestion, please have a look to these three very well done tutorials. Just sit back and enjoy.

You might already know most of it, so enjoy the confirmation, but something might clear things, so you have more success.

http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/character_object_part_1

The main problem that I have noticed over the last decade+ instructing 3D animation, many people like to go too fast and since the step before was not savvy, the next steps will be weak, and then a feeling of failure set in. There is no time to win. Similar to this are tutorials who push a student too fast up the learning curve without supplying a solid foundation. As a result, one feels like on top of the the game for five minutes only to crash very soon, it is just not enough to move forward with a good and strong feeling.

These three tutorials are essential, before the whole content is not savvy, don’t try five steps ahead, it is just too early then. I know that sound old school, but there is something that works and something that doesn’t work. Anyway, your decision and I’m only here to motivate you to dig deep to feel sovereign with your tools.

Anyway, sometimes we just need to play and explore, without real target. Note that mistakes are only mistakes when we spot them. In the moment we spot them, we know more. It is a win, and any failure now is perhaps a solution in the future. Only bullies think that mistakes are negative stuff and remind one on old stuff.
Having said that, I thought I add a scene file here, to get that play started again, five hours frustration is enough for now. I have set up first the advanced quadruped and then modeled the little shape around, just to encourage you to defocus from the figure and do something to motivate your mood a little bit :o) Fingers crossed that it works for you.

ENJOY

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_CAqp_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 194KB - Downloads: 129)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 June 2016 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: I couldn’t resist to make some trouble…. :o)

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_CAqp_02.c4d.zip  (File Size: 406KB - Downloads: 118)
 Signature 

NEW: