A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Can’t find my tangent handles to change speed of a keyframe animation
Posted: 16 June 2016 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2013-08-06

hi, I’m sorry for such a stupid question. but is amazing that I can’t find a solution.

is obvious that I’m doing something wrong. I’m trying to make a camera stops really really slow and smooth so I went to the keyframe timeline dope sheet mode open the little icons on XYZ of my camera, now I can see my lines of animation. I supposed to just drag some of the handles of the bezier line at the last keyframe and it was done. but I’m stuck there is no handles and I can’t make them appear. not in dope mode neither in F-curve.
What I’m missing?
so simple but so complicate.

thanks for any help

Posted: 16 June 2016 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi MP,

Animation is change over time, as you certainly know. The curve is a representation of that change, where time is always horizontal and the value of change is vertical. To slow things down the curve has to be more horizontal than before. To speed thing up, more towards vertical. Note that absolute flat horizontally means no change, and 100% vertical an infinite speed, as time would be then zero.

Please have a look at the little clip. I do both here, slow thing down and speed things up. Since the distance and time overall stayes the same, we get a faster movement on the start when we slow down on the end. Vice versa.

As usual, I go here perhaps too detailed as we have a wide variety of member-skill here in the forum.

The clip can be dowloaded—which allows for a better viewing quality, etc:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/5iSe0NYdTGjYwjgPmSNvOky5rEHkYwLGPcUI5VtiwR0?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_ANsp_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 33KB - Downloads: 209)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 16 June 2016 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2013-08-06

Thanks for your reply. I think it has to be something on my c4d or preference. sorry if i didn’t explain my self I do understand how to use. but I didn’t see any tangent to move in my cd4.
Don’t know what i did to make the handles disappearing. now they are back. thanks!

I think is very confusing. sometimes they are there sometimes they are not…. Even in same object same position and axys on different time keyframes. maybe I’m too used to after effects and I need to understand why no always there is an option to change the curve of speed

Posted: 16 June 2016 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

OK, go to:

Timeline>> View> Show Key/Tangents> Show all Tangents

Besides that, Keys in Linear or Step mode have none, or check if the Key values Left/Right—Time/Value are zero.

Let me know if that was it.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]