A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Randomizing animation on multiple cloners
Posted: 04 May 2016 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Hello

This should probably be an easy one, but for some reason I’m missing something…

I put a circle inside a cloner, and I use three effectors to animate the clones.  I find the animation I like, but now I would like to clone this little animation and have each of these clones follow the initial animation I created, but with different timing.
What is a good approach to do that?

Thanks!

Posted: 04 May 2016 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

A scene file would be nice, if you can’t share in public, please let me know if you can provide a file and send me an ePM, or I can provide an upload link.

Please define timing, earlier and later OR faster and slower?

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 04 May 2016 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Hey Sassi!
Here is a simplified project file, it has two different (super simple) animations.  One with circles, and one with a displacer on a spline…
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6e8hrwouxuy7y9d/Cineversity_TestingClonesofClones.c4d?dl=0

The goal is to create clones of these cloned shapes but have each one have a different animation….

Hope this makes sense

Thanks!
Alex

Posted: 04 May 2016 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Please have a look at the attached file, Alex.

The circle based file, I would go with two Extrude groups, instead of one. Set in the Displacer the Animation speed different. Then use the Random Effector to Modify clones, and the Cloner Object to Sort. Note that the Random Effector Min/Max should be 0-100% and not -100% to 100% for this.

The Disc version I would mess a little bit more with the formula and play in the area of the 360ยบ part in the formula a little bit more with the id. You might know it, but not everyone, so here I go: The formula’s result is expected to be 1.0 to deliver all values as given in the parameter. Anything above or below will change the effect. Since the 360 is more a time based part, to use id here is lowering or speeding up the value for each id (=clone number)

Let me know if that works for you.

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_MGcc_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 97KB - Downloads: 137)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 May 2016 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Thanks Sassi, this makes sense, but is not exactly what I’m looking for.
I simplified the file and made it only about the displacer.  I made three copies of the setup, each one with a different seed applied to the noise in the displacer.
Instead of making various copies of the setup, I’d love to place the setup inside a cloner, and have those clones each have a different “seed” to the noise in the displacer….
I’m guessing that would have to be done with Xpresso?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5pyzyz6fjq0abv/CV2_r17_drs_16_MGcc_02.c4d?dl=0

Does that make sense?

Posted: 05 May 2016 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, Alex.

But “seed” doesn’t change the timing. Without a clear idea of what timing means to you, hence why I asked above “Please define timing, earlier and later OR faster and slower?” So, timing is not faster it is different moves?

The solution would be to just have the noise set to World and where ever a Spline sits, it gets a different information. Since the set up you send me, has a “step” clone formation, these steps would be affected by the change, with each step. So the Noise in 3D space needs to have in “Z” no change. So I changed the Z scale to an incredible huge number, and get a nearly 2 D noise. Yes there is a simple noise, but no animation. Which made me to test water as shader, but it looks a little bit “sharp. Other than that, the motion could be rendered from a plane straight to the camera (luminance) and this footage can be projected in 2D though your whole set. Simple to do, repeatable results.

The XPresso, well, perhaps I miss something, but getting any value out per clone, will not help here to set up an non clone object. I tried it against my knowledge, just to have it explored (things change…), but sorry, I didn’t got anything out of it.

What I need is the definition of timing, the Step idea, are the steps have to be equal per “Cluster” and do these Clones move in space and rotate perhaps (which would disable the 2D idea.)

But perhaps the whole Noise set to World is usable. In the example I used a Cube, to define the Noise Space, and then use it for the Displacer.

BTW: The two copies under the Cloner are two extreme points and the Modify Clones will interpolate between these two, so you have a huge variety among all clones.

Let me know more and I’m happy to look into it.

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_MGcc_03.c4d.zip  (File Size: 117KB - Downloads: 115)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 May 2016 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Hi Sassi

Yes, sorry, by timing I meant “different moves”. 

This solution is exactly what I needed….I had no idea you could sample the noise in this way.  Very elegant solution, as always!

Thanks Sassi!

Posted: 05 May 2016 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Alex.

Keep in mind that the World settings is like a sky with clouds [values], if you move your object through it, it might seem to be accelerated in local (points) movement.

Since I know that you go way further with it, than the example, I’m happy to follow up: just let me know :o)

My best wishes for the project!

Signature 

NEW: