A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

2 of 2
Curved Knife
Posted: 13 January 2016 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes, Pixler, I assumed you know that tool. Based on this thread, this is the tool that gives you the most precise results. I should have explained more.

The “Spline Smooth” is a great tool, and it needs care. The key is certainly to understand what it does, based on ones actions. The Radius parameter is key her, from my point of view. This radius is the processed area for that moment. Teh smaller it is, the more details one can expect. If too large, the results will suffer. Besides that, one needs to understand that it creates or deletes points. This two parts result already in a huge different spline, based on its settings and of course its mix.

As an additional note, I have the impression that the tool works better with less initial points on the spline, and a nice tight mesh to project on.

I have created a little clip, that illustrates this in one minute. I hope after that, you can create what you need with more certainty, or at least decide what works for you and decide then. Either way. I hope the clip illustrates it.

The tool icon is an “iron”, and this will be a constant reminder that this tool is not to underestimate in the changes it does! Its hot ;o)

(Since I record from a 5K screen, the capture itself “eats” a little bit processing, so it looks less fluidly.)

All the best

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/0Ha5YCgk9MuMfEzpPNH3eQZ3EtPVscm04NdYgOzcSiA?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy
[you can download the clip]

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 13 January 2016 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-12-15

Hi Sassi,

I love to learn from the best wink Your video clear some things for me and I am sure that I can use this tool better now. So thanks again for this incredible support. So far I can see I have no more questions (at the moment).

Thanks again and all the best
pixler

Posted: 13 January 2016 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks a lot, Pixler, very kind of you!

Answering since a decade+ those things has certainly lead me to explore a lot, much more than I would have done on my very own. So, each question is welcomed, in many ways! :o)

For the Pen Tool, sometimes I start out with a flat model, like a blue print. It is simpler to get all the points where they should. Then selecting “loops” and pulling them slightly up, less loops, pulling more, reduce again and pull more. Until a nice shape is possible with Subdivision Surfaces. It is a fast way but not less in precision.

My best wishes for your project.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

2 of 2