A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

colour question
Posted: 16 September 2015 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2014-05-05

I have created a disc shaped mesh and it is a child of a fracture which has a plain effector applied so that each piece of the mesh scales as the falloff deformer passes over.  I want the surface of the disc to be one colour and then when the pieces scale up and their sides are revealed I want the sides a different colour.  I have played around with the colour settings in the fracture and the plain but can’t seem to get the desired effect.  Basically just want all polys facing camera to be one colour and all others to be another.  please see attached image

Posted: 16 September 2015 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bikhu,

Please provide a scene file! If I get this in the next few hours I will have a look into ti, otherwise, it might take until next Thursday.

Sounds more like a job for the Normal Direction Shader. But I need to see your set up. Over the past decade it has proven to be true that without scene-file, answers result in more question, pretty much—always. Guessing is not really the idea and wasting your time with it sounds not pro like to me.

Images might work…

I ahave send an upload link to your PM [private message] box

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 16 September 2015 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-05-05
Dr. Sassi - 16 September 2015 09:56 PM

Hi Bikhu,

Please provide a scene file! If I get this in the next few hours I will have a look into ti, otherwise, it might take until next Thursday.

Sounds more like a job for the Normal Direction Shader. But I need to see your set up. Over the past decade it has proven to be true that without scene-file, answers result in more question, pretty much—always. Guessing is not really the idea and wasting your time with it sounds not pro like to me.

Images might work…

I ahave send an upload link to your PM [private message] box

All the best

Thanks Doc. I have uploaded the file.

Posted: 17 September 2015 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Perfect, Thanks, Bikhu.

My understanding is, that the disc has one color. The disk is created out of fragments.
If the fragments become scaled, you like to have two colors:
the part that goes to one side, becomes one color and
the part that goes down, the other color.

To do that, I created a gradient. This Gradient Shader is set to None, so I have three colors: disc, up and down parts
The projection (Texture Tag) is set to flat, so the Gradient while set to V works vertical. Can you see the yellow grid, this is the representation of the Flat projection, while in Texture Mode [left side in the menu]

Note that the projection and the position of the sliders [gradient] working here dependent (visually only) to get this result. If you change one, the other one needs adjustment.

Move the Plain Effector and you can see it. Change the colors to the one you need, mine are set for demonstration purposes and not based on taste.

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_TXsc_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 77KB - Downloads: 174)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 September 2015 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-05-05

Hi thanks this wasn’t what I needed but helpful none the less.    I managed to figure it out.  had to select all polys on top add material then the side ones colour within the fracture

Posted: 24 September 2015 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bikhu,

Nice that you found what you needed.

I have re-read your request, and to me it sounds different in your question, especially “... their sides are revealed I want the sides a different colour...” lead me to my answer.

To accelerate the process, please mention always which release do you use and share a scene file (reduced to the parts needed in question). A little sketch about your ideas and targets helps in the communication.

My best wishes

Bikhu - 16 September 2015 08:05 PM

I have created a disc shaped mesh and it is a child of a fracture which has a plain effector applied so that each piece of the mesh scales as the falloff deformer passes over.  I want the surface of the disc to be one colour and then when the pieces scale up and their sides are revealed I want the sides a different colour.  I have played around with the colour settings in the fracture and the plain but can’t seem to get the desired effect.  Basically just want all polys facing camera to be one colour and all others to be another.  please see attached image

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 September 2015 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2014-05-05
Dr. Sassi - 24 September 2015 11:54 AM

Hi Bikhu,

Nice that you found what you needed.

I have re-read your request, and to me it sounds different in your question, especially “... their sides are revealed I want the sides a different colour...” lead me to my answer.

To accelerate the process, please mention always which release do you use and share a scene file (reduced to the parts needed in question). A little sketch about your ideas and targets helps in the communication.

My best wishes

Bikhu - 16 September 2015 08:05 PM

I would share a scene file but this website does not allow me upload them instead I have to wait for a reply and request for one. In this case I shared a scene file with you once you requested it and gave me a dropbox link.

Posted: 25 September 2015 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bikhu,

You can create your own drop box account and share files if they are not working here. If you have problems uploading files, please use the “Cineversity Site Issues” thread.

I read your other comment about the support—when I set up a drop box upload link, then it is a favor I do, it is certainly not my duty. You decide how we go from here.

Change your attitude and perhaps I get my motivation back. The issue above seems to be solved, as you wrote - so why do I need a scene file anymore?

Good luck

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      R17 install ››