A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

NAB 2015 Rewind - EJ Hassenfratz, Eyedesyn: Adding C4D to your 2D Workflow with Sketch and Toon
Posted: 08 September 2015 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2014-05-05

How do I get my shadows to show in the viewport when I have a luminance material with texture set to sketch and toon-cel?  I have lights and shadows checked in the luminance channel and they are showing in the render but not the viewport.  I also have my viewport>options>shadows checked but it makes no difference.  In EJs video ‘cel shader to cast shadows’  the shadows show in the viewport.

Posted: 09 September 2015 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bikhu,

I hope the attached scene file contains all information you need.

Note that the shadow is based on the Color Channel, or the missing information thereof in the shadow area. If the Illumination channel by itself can’t receive shadow.

The Color channel will add color-values to the surface, but the Illumination is the only one that stays - so the Illuminations channel provides the shadow color.

There might be more, but let me know what you need, please with a little scene file.

As a side note: I have used a Diffusion-Map to “fake” the shadow in the Luminance channel. Typically in Camera Projection I use the Luminance channel only (vs Color and Luminance), in that case the light is baked already in the projected image. To get an extra shadow in that scene, just painted that shadow in. The last awarded work where I did it was in a music video, which can be found on my YouTube channel. (Video and Making of)

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_STls_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 32KB - Downloads: 230)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 09 September 2015 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Alternative—as mentioned above, shadow can be projected. I have attached an example. It works even with the Luminance channel only, or with the Color channel—and both on as well. And is adjusted in intensity in “no time” as well. I have animated it, so press play.

For animations it can be done as well, but needs more attention ;o)

At least it provides an option to have other wise only render-expensive shadows in nearly no time rendered. :o)

Enjoy

P.S.: it works similar to the set up I have posted over four years ago.
https://plus.google.com/+DrSassiLA/videos?pid=5643142413550493474&oid=110784099379805584044

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_STps.zip  (File Size: 209KB - Downloads: 195)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]