A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CINEMA 4D + After Effects Integration-Preparation
Posted: 24 August 2015 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2014-05-22

Hi folks, I’m having a problem duplicating the result shown here. When I import the .aec file I created, I get all the .mov files except for the one labeled rgb in the tutorial. I’m also missing all c4d info. I’m using C4D Studio R16 and Aftereffects CC. As far as I can tell, the necessary plugins are current and loaded correctly. I have very limited familiarity with AfterEffects and only a bit more with C4D, so I’m sure I’m missing something relatively simple, but any help would be much appreciated,

thanks,
Frank

Posted: 24 August 2015 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Frank,

Is the file you expect in the render folder at all?

Have you set up the Multi-Pass correctly(?), etc, please just attach the C4D scene file (in this case - no other object in the scene file is needed, I’m interested in the Render Settings).

My best wishes.

P.S.: After Effects has certainly grown over the past two decades, but some how I think it is simpler to use these days (gradually). However, I remember my impression opening up Ae 3.1 (not Cs3!)—I was overwhelmed. I guess that hasn’t changed so much. To ease that process, there is a torrent of tutorials available. My tip, invest $25 and check in for a month to Lynda.com. There are great people teaching it, The Meyers, Angie Taylor, Rob Garrott, Mark Christiansen—to name only the people I have met in person, there are more.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 25 August 2015 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-05-22

Thanks for the response. I took screenshots of the render settings because the C4D file wouldn’t upload. Let me know if you need more info. Not sure what I’m missing. I’ll follow up on the Lynda.com suggestion at some point. My main focus right now is to gain some functionality in C4D, but obviously I’ll need the AfterEffects skills also.

thanks again,
Frank

Posted: 25 August 2015 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the screen-shots, Frank.

This should have worked. In the “Multi-Pass” section, you can request an RGBA pass as well, which I prefer. This replaced the top-save-as file.

As a side note:
I see that you use QuickTime files. These are good for training purposes, but 8bit/channel and compression perhaps, well, this is not really a good quality to work with in post, nor is it even broadcast quality, not to speak of cinema-quality. Again I understand it is for training. Another point is, any crash during render will force you to re-render the whole session, as the QT might got corrupted during the crash. Image sequences are much more stable.

I have send you an upload link [private message], so I can check it out here. I let you know how it worked ASAP! :o)

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 25 August 2015 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-05-22

Thanks, I’ll try again this afternoon with image sequence from the beginning. I’ll let you know how it goes.

thanks again Doc,
Frank

Posted: 25 August 2015 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Frank. I hope the download link will work for you.

I like Image sequences for a lot of reasons, but mostly when I’m impatient: After the first few images are rendered, you can often start to work in Ae, and reload later. If under a deadline—this helps a lot.

Enjoy!

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 May 2016 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-04-10

The integration of AE and C4d are fantastic especially with multi pass =)

Posted: 25 May 2016 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Leory!

Signature 

NEW: