A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Bump Doesn’t appear in rendering.
Posted: 17 August 2015 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2014-10-24

I have a texture with bump and the bump doesn’t seem to come through on the rendering when I load it. Is there a setting to turn bump on and off when loading a rendering?

Thanks
Mike

Posted: 18 August 2015 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay, I didn’t got an e-mail…

Please provide a scene file, thanks. I can’t see your set-up—without the file.

Any information that can provide information to be used as Bump Effect needs to go into the Bump Channel of the Material Editor. A texture that has several layers and one is designated as Bump information needs to be loaded into the Bump Channel and if the file is multi layered, then it needs to be selected. (More information will follow after I get your file.)

If you share the file, please with the texture, which might not work with the 4MB limit here. I have send you an upload link to your Private Message [PM] box here on Cineversity.

All the best

Image: based on the attached scene file.

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_TXbm_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 89KB - Downloads: 181)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 18 August 2015 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for uploading the scene file, Mike.

If you switch your Texture Tag to Attribute Manager>Tag>Projection>Cubic, you will have the wanted effect. You have this material on the table legs, the frame. All are cube like objects, hence my suggestion here for a cubic projection.

In the previous question your table top was set to spherical and caused an result you didn’t like. This time it is different, and cubic is again the answer. BUT: I fear that I lead you to set anything to cubic soon, as it worked for the questions here so far. Which would be not OK.

The problem with the file you have uploaded is simple: It has no UV tag at all. But the texture is set to UV(W). So the texture tag tells the “system” to use a certain information. But there is none. If an polygon has no UV information at all, the left upper single Pixel of an, e.g., image is used. One pixel can’t produce anything in Bump map, as it works based on the difference of pixels. Yes, not the value itself produce the effect, the neighbor relation is key. After all, it is a fake, and will never work on the contour of an object. In your case you looked for an small amount, and that is OK.

The Bump by itself, based on your render settings should work fine here as well, it seems stills and print is the key, no animation. For animation the noise might be to fine, and might cause flicker. Again—I see your render settings and no further actions are needed.

The idea of UV or projections modes is not a complex theme, but absolute essential for pretty much any 3D work. It is all about the relation ship between 3D objects (or even 2D) and images and shaders.

All the best

Image: no UV tag in the whole scene

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]