A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to make a high res mold using boolean
Posted: 28 May 2015 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-05-20

I have created an object in zbrush that I want to create a mold from.  The object is very detailed and high poly. 
I created a cube and divided it into 100s of segments and then added alignment pins by A+B boolean.  Than I subtracted my object out of each half of the two mold cubes.  My question is, when I boolean the object shoud I tick any of the additional check boxes, or change the value in the Optimize points to create a better result?

If there are any additional suggestions or methods please let me know.
Thanks

Posted: 28 May 2015 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Qray,

The information you have provided creates an image for me in the following way: two cubes are sitting on top of each other and inside of the two sits your model.

The first thing I would do, is to limit any segment number that will not increase the quality of your result. Given that both cubes are with their Y axis vertically, I would set this axis to one (or two) for the segments. This takes a lot of work away from your system, and will not lower anything.

The Segment amount will not really improve the edge that you create. The main idea is to look at your model without the Phong Tag if you are up to make a mold. To my knowledge the smoothing of the phong tag will not evaluated in mold creations. Please check that with your service or options, perhaps I’m not aware of an option here.
Based on that, no Phong Tag, you need to find a sweet spot where the points are nicely represent your target. Again the Cube segments will not really increase the quality—f you go over the amount of the model.

I have here a little clip (one minute, download it—if you like—for personal use only of course.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/wBsy0NBQeAyXHlJYddgoNwvDr-g3rreqy62zV-Sy8Vs?ref_=cd_share_link_copy
Try to find here a segment density that represents the model, as said above, and I try to shocase this here. Especially the Y segments and how they have no influence at all. If you set the cubes to 100x100x1 or 100x100x100 the amount segment is roughly three times higher in the second case (20,400 vs 60,000).

The Optimize should be smaller than any distances to visible points, otherwise it will take away precision. IT is a function to eliminate double points and make your model “water-tight”. IF too large, again, you might get around the seem (connect point of the two cubes) problems.

Single object take the work out to connect and optimize later.

=====

Alternative, make a copy of your file, and cut it (plane) in the middle. Separate it, extrude the new edge and build from there the cube. It might be more precise than any other option.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 28 May 2015 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-05-20

Wow,  Thanks so much Dr. Sassi.  I really appreciate the clip.  I will have to take a closer look to see exactly what is happening when the various check boxes are ticked.  It sounds like you may have experience creating 3d models for printing.  I have noticed that when I create models in c4d and then try to connect and delete they are not always manifold or seem to have other issues.  I tend to take everything over to zbrush and dynamesh objects to combine them properly.  But, I would like to know the correct way to do it in C4d if possible.  Maybe I should be using Boolean A+B on my individual components to come up with a single model that does not have shells or other issues.

Thanks
Q

Posted: 28 May 2015 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Q.

Thanks for the feedback.

To say that I have experience with 3D printing is certainly not really true. I have created my first models for print in the late ‘90s, and there it was quite an expensive idea to have a problem in the model.

If it looks right is is right might work for visuals, but in 3D printing my past experience is, the information must be perfect. Water-tight, was the term back then.

As you said, the clip was helping, I though, why not provide another one minute clip for the alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/7S1gC_VrgAWb5Z0wOtKIFGnAZmiiKOQrumVxjlnXeNU?ref_=cd_share_link_copy

It is fast and I keep them in one minute, as they are just tips, to give some visual “mass” how it could work. It took me while to edit it down… ;o)

Perhaps you create some faulty little examples, to see how tolerant your printing system is. ;o)

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]