A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Spotlights destroying object illuminated scene
Posted: 30 April 2015 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2013-09-19

I have set up a scene that is lit by the illumination of the objects. The scene is perfect but I wanted to add a light in the background aimed at the camera. The issue is I can’t figure out how to add the light in without effecting the existing lighting setup. I have added all the objects into the Project tab and exclude them.

The scene is as its intended to look when you render it. If you turn on the light you will see the undesired effects it is having.

Suggestion are welcomed.

Posted: 30 April 2015 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi CreativeRaul,

The effect that you notice, while switching the light on and off, is based on the “Default Light”.

If no light is in the scene, the “Default Light” is switched automatically to on, so one can see something. This is, BTW, changeable in the Render-Setting>Options>Default Light

You will find also in the Editor View an option for that, but only to change the directions (Editor View>Options>Default Light.)

As you have excluded the objects from the back-light (Project List), they lost not only this “Default Light”, hence they looked different, and they lost as well as the other light-source.

Remedy: Place a point light close to the camera, a little bit “camera-left” and up. This should give you the effect back.

TIP: To get only a Lens Effect, you can go to the (background light-object is active) Attribute Manager>General, there you can switch off Diffuse, Specular and GI (as you like of course). The Lens Effect is provided from the position of the light, based on some parameters of course, such as Intensity. In your case you had only a few objects (basically) to move, but this way works faster. ;o)  Note: lens-flare sits on top of everything, light glare or visible light sources (based on position) behind or in-between, etc, but it needs an light wrap/light glow to really sit in the picture, which is a post process.

Suggestion: If possible, render your scene with and Object Buffer for all objects in front of the light and then switch them off and render the Lens Flare etc, it gives you a better freedom and the default light is not affected as well.

Multi-Pass comes to mind, but in this case, I would render two sessions.

Please let me know if that works for you.

My best wishes for the project.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 30 April 2015 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2013-09-19

That default light gets me every time. Thank you Dr. Sassi for the detailed advice. It’s helped deliver the scene to the desired effect.

Posted: 30 April 2015 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, CreativeRaul.
Yes the devil is on the detail. A reason why I write in a public readable forum perhaps more detailed than I would expect that you need it. As you wrote, you are aware of it, but I know how it is, deep in a project and handle everything complex with ease, and then ... something like that. ;o)

Enjoy your project

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]