A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Transparency: Colour, Transparency colour, Absorption colour
Posted: 07 April 2015 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2014-12-11

Hello,

I have a little question about the general idea behind the transparency channel and creating glass and such: a material has a basic colour, and the transparency channel has its own colour and absorption colour, how do these play together ?
Lets say I have a blueish tinted glass, do I set the basic colour to blue, or do I switch off the basic colour and use only the transparency colour ? Having three colour options is somewhat complicated I find…

Thanks,
Emmanuel

Posted: 07 April 2015 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Emmanuel,

Think of a light greenish glass bottle, spray paint it red. Take some sand paper and work the red tone off. Now you have a red bottle (opaque) with areas that are transparent and show these recycling green. The bottom part of the bottle is a massive glass cylinder, here the glass is not that transparent, but also not opaque at all. But maybe dark-bluish green.

There you have all three colors.

Surface colors and material colors mustn’t be the same, as in prints on the surface or labels, etc. The material editor separates attributes, and with that, I call it the shopping list, when you explore objects. Go one time through, keep that list in mind when you explore real world objects. And not everything in 3D has to be realistic, we do a lot of SciFi with 3D as well, and VFX and what not…
After all, the separation of the channels allows you to set up a wide variety of materials. Each channel has specific characteristics, e.g., Color is different to Diffusion and certainly different to transparency or even Reflectance. Illumination stands out as a unique feature, and Bump and Displacement have their own qualities, not to forget the Normal and other channels. Your questions points out that you explore this and the more you see the difference, the better you can handle the set up. Hence why I suggest to use the “Shopping List” and why I’m not a big fan of ready to use material (they leave you on a lower level of your skills, as anything else that doesn’t require basic knowledge).

In the attached scene, change the Absorption Distance to 2cm. This is a sketch and for demo purposes only, hence it is rough.

Let me know if that answers your questions.

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_TXtr_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 74KB - Downloads: 173)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]