A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Texture render problem
Posted: 01 April 2015 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2015-03-25

I run in to this where certain textures will look one way in the viewport and then totally different when rendered. Specifically with tiling. In the screenshot you can see how I’ve exaggerated the tiling and yet once rendered there doesn’t seem to be any tiling at all. The projection is UVW Mapping with Tile turned on. Any ideas?

Posted: 01 April 2015 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi SeanCusson,

Please provide a simple scene file, so we talk about the same. However:

I believe that you used here a Shader in the “mix” and not a texture. Shaders produce a 2D preview, and that is mapped in the Editor view. This “preview” is in the Material Editor to find. To provide a fast redraw in the Editor view, this is what makes it fast.

Use the IRR (Interactive Render Region) to get a better idea about.
The Shader will be calculated then for the whole object/Surface, and especially the 3D Shader might ignore the tiling completely.

Open the attached file and set the tiling to five, render. Then drag the checkerboard “Material” over the “Texture Tag” of the Cube. render again or use the IRR (Option/Alt - R)

File:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/wDxKS_fTYvtEQp88SWDqLaDh04PxLhF8grfqheK4zzw?ref_=cd_share_link_copy_flash

I will check your file, please reduced to the effect, and saved with Assets.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 02 April 2015 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2015-03-25

Thanks for looking at this. I’ve always found it frustrating when (in some cases) Cinema lets you see the texture one way in the preview window and then a completely different way in the render.

Here’s a reduced file with only the object that was being referenced. The diffuse channel is using a Filter texture and inside that is a noise texture. The bump map is using a Layer texture and within that is a noise texture as well as a filter.

File Attachments
Gold Foil Brick.c4d.zip  (File Size: 579KB - Downloads: 270)

Posted: 02 April 2015 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you, SeanCusson, for the file.

It sows clearly the set-up, which I have had described above. Everything is set up with Procedural Shaders, which means, the Tile doesn’t matter, or to be more precise, it makes the preview worse.

Think of the Noise Shader (vs the Simple Noise) as a Cloud, only dependent on the settings in the Shader interface. Take any objects surface and where this surface shares the same space, there the “color/value” of that cloud is calculated for the very specific area. IF you use a Tile of 0.0001 or a value of 1,000, doesn’t matter.

If you like to have a fairly good preview, leave the Tile to “one”. Textures (images) work differently, and if both are wanted, the UV Space is the way to go, or use the Projection Shader for such, to keep the noise preview close.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]