A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Image seq alternative in Flipping Book Pages, Part 2
Posted: 15 March 2015 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2015-01-06

I’m currently working my way through Flipping Book Pages with MoGraph, Part 2 and am wondering about creating an image sequence.

I understand how Dr. Sassi created the QT image sequence, but I can’t follow these steps because QT7 is obsolete, and these same steps can’t be done in the newest version of QT. (I know QT used to make a non-“self contained” file that used still images as the reference)

Also, I understand with the updates the picture viewer in C4d has seen is quite vast and making an image sequence should be easy (I went through that tutorial last night). Problem is when I do the export I don’t get the non-“self contained” file that is needed in the Flipping Book Page with Mograph Part 2 (about 5 minutes in).

I was able to finish the tutorial after using a regular QT file, but now if I want to change just 1 page I’ll need to rerenader the whole clip. So any advice for an old-timer as to how to make an image sequence without QT7?

Posted: 16 March 2015 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Andy.Man,

If I get your situation correctly, you like to work with a single file, rather than with a collection of images. (As mentioned in the tutorial, this could be done in AfterEffects.)

Since a while MoGraph’s Multi Shader doesn’t need one or the other, it can handle both now!

To get the same result with single image collections, the “Add From Folder” option is introduced. See manual for more in depth details if needed, but I hope I get all answers for you in this post.

The QT7 has not found in version X a real replacement—Compressor (Mac only, though) certainly is, but it is certainly more expensive and useful than QT7 ever was. Quick Time uses the installed codecs, so QT7 is not really old, if you have newer applications which updated the codecs.

In the picture viewer, you can load images sequences (same name but continuously increasing numbers before the suffix, e.g., name_0012.jpg) and save the file as Animation instead of Still. See image.

If that is not working, perhaps a visit in Photoshop does the trick. See second image.

Images on a background object in C4D and rendered in the same resolution might work as well.

Again, newer version of C4D can use folders with image sequences.

Besides that, and movie editing package should do the trick, certainly Premier, FCP/FCPX, Avid, and many others with no doubt.

=======

If you like to change just one page (or many), go into the Multi Layer Shader and exchange the file. See third image (dark arrow).

Let me know if there is any other question.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]