A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

2 of 2
a motion clip tutorial?
Posted: 22 January 2015 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

I will look at your file -I tried to use dropbox, as I have many times before. Either I am not doing something correctly, probably, or a glitch in the system, but I’ll try again in another post-; )

File Attachments
sphereRoll.c4d.zip  (File Size: 84KB - Downloads: 101)
 Signature 

Craig

Posted: 22 January 2015 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

I got your file, Craig.

The jumping up and down is a different movement than the rotation. With a rotation you have a constant “movement”, with the ball up and down, it is more like a sine, but based on how “hard/squeezable” the ball is it is more like round roof, spiky base curve. If you set the rotation to linear interpolation, then it will continue to rotate.

If you have a look to the two images, the curved one has two very “horizontal” parts in the curve, there it stops, like a very soft ball, squeezed and slowed down on the floor and changing direction in the air. The Rotation is supposed to go on and on. So we like to have it straight.

One question, to keep things simple in the thread, may I delete the two “new/sharing only threads”? I have added it to the post above, and zipped it, so it works with the forum. ;o)

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_ANsr_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 77KB - Downloads: 158)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 22 January 2015 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

yes that is fine of course? thanks as always, good night!-CZ

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 22 January 2015 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, Craig. In my 11th year of running “fora” I have only deleted one thread without asking, but I’m not happy to do that with out the Thread starters OK.

Have a good one. :o)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 January 2015 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, thanks again. I totally understand, about the spline types. But once the MC is created, how do I go back to edit this to change the spline ?, thanks CZ

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 23 January 2015 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

The two images that I have shown above, were the F-Curve, not the Spline Interface of the Clip>>Attribute Manager>Advanced>Spline.

It was the RMC (right mouse click) >Menu>Show F Curve. Which changes the whole clip. Again, as this is changing all clips which are based on the clip in the Library (see image: most left sided), this is not a suggested “standard procedural), as it can screw up the previous set up, at least be careful, or better make a copy and change this clip then.

To get back to the Clip, open the clip in the timeline (Motion Tag>Attribute Manger>Tag> Button: Open in TL. Then select the clip you like to change, so it is active and the Spline for that specific clip can be found in the Attribute Manager>Advanced.
NOTE: Each clip in the Timeline (in the image most right sided), has its very own Spline and can be adjusted without any “danger” to other instances of that same clip (Instances from the “Library”.

Let me know if I was able to address your point. Thanks. :o)

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 January 2015 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, I just noticed your response, it never arrived in my mailbox at home, like it always does. You always respond, I figured it was a email glitch, whatever that is ; )-have a nice weekend, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 23 January 2015 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31514862/Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 6.19.25 PM.png

Hi again, I have attached a screenshot of my issue. This spline is linear, isn’t it?-also, interpolation is greyed out. Would you mind please clearing this up for me at your convenience?, thank you, as always, Craig

this is in regards to my rolling ball, which is not as smooth-rolling as yours ; )

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 23 January 2015 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

Funny how some e-mails go through and some not, it happens to me as well. I check in periodically already to avoid problems based on it.

Let me repeat one line here from above: (I know how things slide when in stress… if I may say so)
“The two images that I have shown above, were the F-Curve, not the Spline Interface of the Clip>>Attribute Manager>Advanced>Spline.”

The spline is linear and will affect anything that is inside the Clip. The information inside the clip is not linear from the start. Before you turn things into a clip they should work properly. The spline interface is not really a good idea to fix it, if that is at all possible.

If you RMC (right mouse click) on the clip—show “F-Curve”, you can fix it—but please read my post from above about this, I think to repeat what is just a few post already there…

So, “F-Curve” vs “Spline”. Do I got the problem?  … or: Post #1 (Spline) vs Post #4 (F-Curve)

Let me know. (How to change the interpolation of the Spline, I will wait until we have cleared this, to keep it simple, OK?)

A nice weekend for you as well. :o)
(But I stay tuned as usual over the weekend, so fire up any question!)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 January 2015 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

yea, me!!!!-I DO GOT IT-bad english, but who cares-I fixed my issue in my own file, w/RMC, etc. But my final question, I hope, is why do you suggest not to fix this problem in the MC, as opposed to beforehand?- and thanks for your unlimited patience, and clarifying the dif, between f-curve, and interface spline

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 24 January 2015 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Craig, we are getting there :o)

Think of the use in a more complex set up. Clips are done to be used “here and there”. Then you change one instance, and all others change with it. On the other hand, if the clip is not used or you have the wish that all change at the same time, do it. You get my idea?

Another case, you work on a complex scene and fix the clip (after it was created), the app crashes, or the power goes off. So you go back to the auto-save version of your scene. Guess what could happen ;o)

It is more a question of caution or to stay always clean. Which I relate of course to the Team-work idea as well. If the file was saved and some takes the file from the server, and works with it. Same name of the clip. A disaster waiting to happen. Things like that. As the old saying is, you need to do 10,000 mistakes to be a master. The key is of course to identify things as a mistake, not just doing them and ignore it. Thehehe. Lets pretend for a moment that I have had passed my mastership a while ago, reaching 10K of mistakes, hence I like to share that stuff.

Having said all of that, changing the clip doesn’t change the original source, which might be cool or not, your call. besides all of that, do what fits your needs. There is no right or wrong, and sorry if that showed in that way.

Enjoy your weekend!

Signature 

NEW:

2 of 2

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Steam Particles? ››