A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Texturing individual selections of a MoGraph Symmetrical object
Posted: 10 November 2014 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2013-09-19

I have a MoGraph animated object which I have a symmetry effector attached too.

I would like to know what is the best approach for texturing selected polygons on the symmetrical side of the object.

Posted: 10 November 2014 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi CreativeRaul,

As the name suggests, it is a symmetrical option. I’m not aware that one could set up for one side an independent Texture Tag based on a object Selection Tag information.

The UV and Selection information becomes duplicated while mirrored but wit no tool change half of the given information. (Perhaps someone has an idea to do that with Python.)

You might create you set up for one side, all under a Null Object, which has to sit on the mirror axis FROM THE START, if animation is included! If you are done, copy the whole set up, and type in a “-1” in the scale of axis that is perpendicular to your mirror axis. The material “B” can be then dragged over the new (copied) Texture Tag.

As I have no scene file from you, I can’t tell if that has any negative (literally, as it might change things) side effects.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 November 2014 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

That’s a good suggestion but the already applied selected textures gets inverted. Here is a piece of the symmetrical model. As you will see the applied selected texture is not mirror. I’m interested in figuring out a way to control this mirroring so I can mirror some applied textures to save time and not mirror others which I only wish to apply to one side of the model.

Posted: 10 November 2014 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

When I see you project, I don’t see at all a texture of the mirrored side, CreativeRaul.

Perhaps I got your question wrong? Was your question “how to get a texture mirrored as well”, or “how to get a different texture on a mirrored object” (?).

As you used front and no Tiling , the “location” for the texture is specified and shows up exactly only once. If that texture should show up mirrored you need to turn this into a UV information. (Note there is NO UV Tag at all on it.)  Select the object, the texture tag and then >>Object Manager>Tags>Generate UVW Coordinates. Which will take the current setting of the projection and create an UV equivalent normally.

YES, this will be mirrored, as it is a symmetrical object/set.

I have set this up in the attached scene, with an replacement texture. I didn’t got any of your textures. (Save with Assets!) Check the parameter in the attached sceen-shot.

IF the texture needs to be projected in the way you have it, you need to set up the other side as the first one.

Check the normals and the Front/Back of the Texture Tag.

All the best

Sassi

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/OOISEiUwOEfmyCJAtOpedaPcUFeref6GqA33PYfgfSE

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 10 November 2014 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

Thank you. I will try out what you suggested.

Posted: 10 November 2014 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Creative Raul.

I had again problems with the Attachment “mime” type…, but it is now set up (above)

Let me know if I got it the way you need it. If not, I set up another scene. :o)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Reproject Brush/smooth ››