A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

1 of 2
Strange Artifact in Physical Render with Motion Blur in r16
Posted: 05 November 2014 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2013-09-19

A strange artifacts on the surface of my model as seen in the picture shows up with motion blur turned on. The artifact is not present in any other render test through the viewport or without motion blur in the standard renderer.

I’ve checked my material and I do not have any animated textures. I am at a lose with the results.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

I can’t post the scene file. Sorry, I don’t want the model leaked and used.

Posted: 05 November 2014 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi CreativeRaul,
Replace the two models (clear and blue with two spheres, apply the current material to such and render again. If no artifacts then, you might explore your model. IF the artifacts show up as well, send the two spheres.

Check the Ray-depth/Reflection-depth in the Render Settings> Options, which might help, but something tells me that I need to see the scene. (You have checked the normals, right?)

Anything else—I can’t tell.

Your model will be save if you contact the support.

Good luck

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 05 November 2014 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

I will look into the model. My Ray Depth, Reflection Depth and Shadow Depth settings are as follow.

Ray Depth: 15
Reflection Depth: 5
Shadow Depth: 15

Posted: 05 November 2014 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Good luck.

The numbers will not help me, as there is no best setting or optimized setting without knowing the scene.
Sorry, but there is a reason why I ask for a scene, without, it is just a very cumbersome way to find out what is going on.
Not the way I like to use your or my time.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 November 2014 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

You are absolutely correct. Here’s the project file. I removed all the stuff that does not relate to the issue. I am using GSG HDRI lighting kit but that won’t matter the problem is with the seam of the model.

As you can see in the attached image and project model.

Posted: 05 November 2014 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, CreativeRaul.

I disabled the link in the moment I got the file, you have had mentioned some concerns.
I will have a look into it right now.

Talk to you soon, it might take a while… seems like a huge file.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 November 2014 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Thank you Dr. Sassi.

Yes the model has a high poly count.

Posted: 05 November 2014 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

So, first impression: I can’t really tell anything, as I have no textures. ..and other stuff is missing here.

My first try would have been to increase the settings in the Physical Render from LOW to medium, after inspecting the mesh. The mesh seems fine, not even Broken Phong edges.

So I can’t really suggest something based on no option to render.

What I can suggest is (just for the exploration) shut off anything not native to C4D and if needed replace the lights with a single light. Render again. Increase the values in steps of 20 (the three depth values) and check again. If that takes to much power, my suspect is the reflection depth, I really had no idea if there was transparency in the game based on the initial images, so I assume that reflection might cause it. But hard to tell.

I have no idea which frame was affected, but you use the Stage Object, is that perhaps one frame before or after a “cut”? Shouldn’t be a roblem, but just a thought.

The shutter speed is at 1/30 of a second, which is a 360º shutter, and that means a full frame (well considering the 70% parameter, but anyway). This gives normally a smeary video look (typical for video), but as well longer render-times than working with a cinematic 180º look. Question of taste of course.

What I saw is a rendering plug-in enabled which I don’t use.

(Sorry if that sounds like a rant, but somewhere on this planet someone produces weird information and I see the use of it more and more. Not nice.
I have placed my critique about some stuff in a tex document. I can delete it if I step on your toes with it.)

BTW, you always can send me download links per Cineversity Private Message, to keep things safe. But I will discuss them here in the forum. I believe in Forums work and don’t do 1on1 stuff.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
Formats-opinion.rtf.zip  (File Size: 2KB - Downloads: 247)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 November 2014 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

The artifact start to show up at frame 166. They are front and center between 170 to 195.

I will try all the options you’ve suggest to see what results I get. I’ll post if I can pinpoint the issue.

I welcome any critiques Dr. Sassi. Just let me know where I can grab the document from.

Posted: 05 November 2014 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Ok,

the attachment loaded. I have it.

Thank you.

Posted: 05 November 2014 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Great! Thanks, CreativeRaul.

I will replace the textures (after Dinner…) and try to find what is going on.

Thanks as well for the frame numbers—that will lower my efforts (or the one of my little CPU)

talk to you soon

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 November 2014 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

So, one time through. With Physical render as you have set it up, no change, No change to the cameras either. I rendered it out in full 32bit/float as usual, as this is the native information of C4D anyway. It is beautiful, at least no artifacts. I left even the low physical render settings. So your model and camera move nor the physical render settings causes it. Well done. Let me share some thoughts, and these are just my personal takes on working in 3D, and to say it clearly, and grown over decades, so lots of slow cpu experience in it, as I said above, I’m frugal with my recourses. The faster I get feedback, the faster I can adjust to get something better. Just dumbing stuff on top of each other hasn’t worked for me.

I’m not a friend of presets nor do I use them. I create my own stuff, especially HDRI. I don’t use anything where I’m not certain how it affects my scene. This keeps me busy, but on top of my own game.

All these filters—to every images (do I missed one?) a filter. This might take quite some processing power away, if not animated and just for comfort, that feels wrong to me. Sorry, I have only limited computer power, so I’m always frugal with my resources, to cut memory, and time, but never quality.

Having said that, I went through all the lights and the HDRI rig. Well, that could be simpler I guess. So I deleted all of that stuff. I have set up one material for teh head and a proper HDRI with 16x8k resolution in 32bit float, from seven exposures in raw. All the dynamic there was that day in the dessert.

Currently, just to make certain I do not miss anything, I render in UHD and with HDR not clipped (you had it to 1 in the Physical settings. My suggestion, leave it at 8 and use Open EXR [the real one, not the QT version] and roll out the high lights in Ae or NUKE, it just looks better and more filmic.)

I let you know when the render is done, the UHD, the 720 as in your setting (1/2 HD) really came out flawless, with only industry standard (EXR)  and native materials.

So, the non native stuff might cause it, I’m curious what, as I miss most of it.

Yes, I certainly have my ideas how things have to be, has served me well and worked even during festival on the big screen to get me awards, so I will not change that. Yes, again, I certainly know that many people might not agree with me, as it is work to do your own thing. But if you need Panoramas, HDRI or textures, I have all tutorials you need. I explain in detail and with a precise research why I use some formats and never others for real productions. I have stopped listening to many people and my work got better. So, enough of my bragging. One UHD frame takes ~8 minutes roughly here (Laptop), so I make finally my walk. I let you know if something shows up.

All the best

Sassi

P.S.: very nice motion blur around the edges, all merges so nicely, and the “head” reflects the sky object so clean. No problems, even in UHD.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 November 2014 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: ... during my walk I had the impression that perhaps all these Fresnel Shaders in all these materials might create a chain reaction, especially when placed twice on top of each other. Just a thought, and yes a guess, but I couldn’t resist to put this into this thread.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 November 2014 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

The UHD render with my own textures went fine, all frames (170-195) are clean and pristine. I rendered as well frame 166, fine as well.

I have attached a 8bit jpg of frame 183, as the Open EXR is 93MB per frame in UHD.

I see some areas where the sampling could be higher, but not a problem as shown in your examples at all.

I have set up a small render to see the whole animation, and so far I see at frame 100 (262 similar) that the Stage Object Cut and the 360º shutter creates transitional effects. I never use it in my production, I have too much fun editing, and keep the options open, for the “in a blink of an eye” moments.

As I have not a single original texture, nor the plug-ins or specific shader you have in your scene, I have to stop here, until I get more data.

I hope that you will find the combination of things that lead to it.

Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/T5obmHuVFcsgc4Z_gN7Vi4jXZMk6vclkAMqMo9E5MOI

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 November 2014 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

Thank you for all the leg work you did on your end. It has been educational and eye opening, what you have posted.

I was able to trace the problem down thanks to an article someone provided over twitter. It lead me to realize the issue was in my UVW tag. After removing it the model rendered fine with all my existing settings and third party items.

I have to UV unwrap the model since reapplying the texture has lead to some stretching issues in the texturing of the material. I am looking over UV tutorials to figure out how to correctly UV wrap the model.

Posted: 06 November 2014 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi CreativeRaul,

Missing shaders (wire) and Plug ins, as well textures left me a little bit behind, but the UV looked nice of that head. So, no idea what to do, nor would I imagine that it is the problem, as it renders here fine.

I will re-render with a color checker board.

However, if it works: GREAT.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

1 of 2