A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Bevel on Round object
Posted: 10 October 2014 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-05-22

Getting lost on this one, and I’ve seen it done before. I have a shape, or path, and the client wants it not only extruded, but the face of it have a smooth curve expanding to the center, like it was “blown up like a ballon”. Maybe not that much, but so it has a curve. to it.
Seems like bevel was the way to go, but overlapping lines and I had a tough time controlling it. It seems easy, but modeling trips me up. How is this done easily or is there a tut that explains it. Attached is a fresh version, with the shape and using extrude on it to see it. Thanks much for your help.

Jon Lewis

File Attachments
try to build a shape.zip  (File Size: 83KB - Downloads: 215)

Posted: 10 October 2014 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jon Lewis,

Here is your file back. Check out the Falloff of the Plain Effector (especially the Spline GUI), and the Deformer settings.

The Cap can be adjusted to get more or less smoothness. Perhaps after you are happy with the shape, make it editable and check the mesh.

Let me now if there is a question.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGmo_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 53KB - Downloads: 237)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 October 2014 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-05-22

Wow, didn’t know that could be done. Just turning the deformation to point you can use an effector on anything..? Always more to learn. Thanks so much!! That should work.  And thanks for the help on the other project, that one is in review, the one with the inheritance effector. The basic concept is there, but after the clients played with it, ended up out a bit different than I envisioned. Thanks again for your help on that as well. Have a great weekend.
Jon Lewis

Posted: 10 October 2014 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Jon Lewis.

Please play a little bit with it. The subdivision of the Spline Object and the Cap subdivision will have a sweet spot where the result is nearly perfect. Sometimes the Falloff is best at 99.99% to protect the border.
Better is of course to have the object editable, and use a point selection with the border points excluded. I will attach an example.

Note that you can move each point that is “deformed” in that way freely around, it will stay on the “virtual” shell of the deformation. As long as the polygons will be not out of shape and collapse, all will be fine.

Have a nice weekend as well.

Sassi

You might have a look here as well:
http://old.cineversity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2720&PN=1&TPN=6
(scroll down on that page)

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGmo_02.c4d.zip  (File Size: 144KB - Downloads: 227)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]